GoKunming Forums

Dengue aka Bone Break Fever in Xishuangbanna

bucko (695 posts) • 0

You don't even want to get this one. I caught it in Manilla, and it is no picnic. It took a month to recover. Since Thailand has got this going around big time, I don't go there anymore.

I hope the Chinese take this serious and begin now to control the mossies.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I believe the mossies for Dengue fever are the black and white one. China has little chance of controlling mossies. This is not Singa where you get fined for having a pool of water under a pot plant. Nor is it an island. There are lots of pools of still water in the countryside and canals in town.
Mass spraying in urban areas can be effective in an the area treated. But not 100% and it does to damage to the environment as most pesticides are organo-phosphates, which are 'persistent', they don't break down, and in fact build up in the food chain.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Of what I know, Kunming is a safe haven from malaria and dengue. It's too high, too dry and as a friend here told me, mosquito populations are territorial, killing other types of Mosquitos who are not native in the region. Of course mosquito populations migrate, but they do need ideal circumstances to do have enough influence to move.

@ Dazzer: I admire your skill in twisting someone's words.

Let me explain more clearly: Mosquito's carrying the dangue and malaria diseases are of a different kind and don't / shouldn't come into the Kunming climate. That doesn't mean mosquito's don't live here. They even live in the Himalaya mountains.

PS: "territorial": in biology:
Displaying territoriality; defending a territory from intruders: territorial behavior; a territorial species.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

1. I wasn't twisting your words
2. Suggest you go back and read your own post
3. Suggest you do some research before shooting from the hip, this took me 30 seconds to find. www.ehow.com/about_4570543_dengue-fever-malaria.html

4. Strongly suggest that, if you are going to continue posting in the manner that you do, you use an alias. Using the same user ID that you use for your business, and for chit chat, is never good PR.

I appreciate your advice about not using the same name for chitchat as for business. That may be a wise thing to adjust for me.
About using a website as eHow as a reference... No comment.

Related forum threads

Login to post