GoKunming Forums

Marks and Spencers?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is at least one branch of M&S in Shanghai. A regular stop for me when passing through.

Buying clothes on Tmall can be a problem for western frames. You can get the waist, leg, chest sizes: but unless you have no hips, no butt and for boys no lunch box, you won't get a good fit.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Yeah i went to two of the branches in Shanghai. They clothes there in real sizes for real people. I was impressed. No such luck on Taobao unfortunately!

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Hope they don't charge western prices at M&S or they'd be located in the Gucci and Burberry mall. Their prices are outrageous even for UK standards. Anyhow, all their stuff is made in China so better be cheap :)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I think you have been drinking too much of your own wine mate.

People shop in M&S because of the excellent value for money.

Even in the UK they are reasonable value because of the higher quality. They can't compete with WalMart, and their clothes can be washed more than 5 times, unlike Primark.
In China the shirts and trousers are much better quality than the department stores, and less than 1/3 the price most of the time. You can also get M&S non-iron shirts that look smart and really don't need ironing.

I can buy t shirts that don't lose their shape after a few washes.
I can buy underpants that don't fall apart at the seams and were not made by the Boston Strangler.

The only other place that sells western sized clothes is Decathalon, but this is a sports store. Great for hiking style clothes and sports wear, but nothing even remotely formal.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

True, M&S standard is a bit higher. But having lived in the UK a while ago, maybe since then they had to cut their prices with the current economic situation or they'd become a Woolworth's too. Walmart is not a clothing store, they sell loose threads in a bundle.

Related forum threads

Login to post