GoKunming Forums

YNNU / YNU Accomodation standard

faraday (213 posts) • 0

Hi - does anybody know what the accommodation standard is at the universities? I've only found one pic of the rooms on internet, on a site called sichina.org and it looks like a normal hotelroom.
I understand they charge 120 per day, and need to pay the whole semester up-front.

dubwise (14 posts) • 0

Hey! I have the same question! Does anybody know how much RMB the rent of a room in an apartment near to a university (KUST)! Thanks!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I believe they are just like hotel rooms where they change the sheets daily. So that's why the cost is comparable to a hotel room, cuz it is one. People usually stay there for short stays while they look for their own places to live. I don't believe people live there for full semesters, because, who would want to live in a hotel room for 5 months? If you did pay upfront for a full semester, I would want a huge discount.

sararuvi (1 post) • 0

Hi, I'm studing at YNNU and well...we have a shared room (I guess there are also rooms for just one person, but don't know anyone who is alone at the room). Hmmm they have bunk beds (bed on the top, desk under the bunk) and so on...the toilet is "chinese style" and if you're lucky you'll get one clean room.

Here there is no clean service and, so you'll have to do it all by youself (that inlcudes buying matress, towels, sheets and everything you need).

I cant' help you about the price, but for sure it will be cheaper than a hotel room.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I should be clear, that my above post was for short term stays in university hotel. If it's the actual dorm rooms, then I doubt they have daily bed service, and I hope don't cost 120 per day. That would be way too much for a dorm room which you share with one other person, even if you have your own bath. You can rent a nice apartment for half that.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

Hi again,
I've been able to find out about various options:

The 120/day was for the international students hotel, and is indeed a hotel with daily cleaning etc. These rooms are not really suitible for study - contain a bed and a wardrobe, and not enough room to swing a cat (2nd hand info)

At the universities - The dorm rooms, as far as I could find out, cost 1200 per semester or year - unclear which. Standard is fair, assuming you keep it clean etc. yourself. Should be possible to get a private room by paying for the second bed. There are also rooms for up to 6 people - would'nt like the sound of that and didnt ask any more about price or standard.

Various hostels around the city cost about 50 per day for private room. A good option, considering there is usually a restaurant and bar on-site with acceptable standards.

There are various "short-term apartments", one called IC advertises on this site. These are nice, have everything (bedroom/living/kitchenette in one room + hotel-style bathroom) but cost same as a hotel.

Around the train station (the end of beijing road) there are a number of fairly nice hotels with rooms for as low as 40 per night. These are purely chinese hotels, meaning chinese toilet and not a chance of speaking english even at reception, however they are generally a bit bigger than the more international hotels around and some have basic cooking facilities.

Lastly, also close to the station, there is even a "closet" hotel, i.e. rent-a-box, the kind of thing they store dead bodies in at a mortuary!You get about 8 feet long * 3 feet wide * 3 feet high. TV is built in. Did'nt get a price on that. Yongping road, east side.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Best options would seem to be a hostel on arrival. This gives you the option to move without notice if things don't work out. Lots of reasons for wanting to move.
In a hostel, if you really like your room but the guy next door is an ass, he will probably be gone in a week.
You also have the option to move up if you find somewhere better, and have time to look for a sublet room if that works out cheaper and nices.

Related forum threads

Login to post