GoKunming Forums

Getting an Xbox 360 unlocked?

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Anyone know where I can get my Xbox 360 unlocked. I bought it with me from England, now it's just stopped playing games, though plays DVD's and demo's already installed in the system just fine. I ideally want to get it unlocked so I can install the original games I bought in England on to the HD to play directly from there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I'm guessing you need a firmware update, although, you're saying it doesn't play your old games either? Worrying, firmware usually allows new cracks to be played, old ones should work fine without. Anway, as far as I know, you can't Xbox Live from China so might as well go with the flow and get it fully chipped/modded so you can play all the 5 yuan copies. Remember to tell the guys that's it's a real Xbox, 99 percent of the boxes here are fakes -but work perfectly well.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm not really into Xbox live anyway and it must be nigh on impossible to get original games here too. Any idea where i can get it done? The cost?

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

@Danmairen: Where did you get the info that one cant connect to XBL here? Sometimes it's blocked, but simply can use a VPN connection to circumvent it.
99% of the Xbox's selling here are fakes, but playing the games??? Where did you hear this fairy tale?

There is no official market in China for the Xbox, all the boxes here are grey imports mostly from Japan, so also no box-support for China.

@mPRin: I know a guy who owns a little shop, he helped me to fix my Box... which wasn't an easy task since the southbridge was cooked up.

I brush new firmware to my Box DVD-Drive by myself (since every 3 months there will be an update), using a connector bought on Taobao. It's not easy, but i do this kind of stuff at work everyday and so i can spare the money.

It's everytime a new experience to find special stuff here in China, but i like it if there finally is a solution. ;)

But for me it sounds like your DVD-Drive in the box have some problems reading the game discs, because you mentioned you have only original games.

Did you ever get a modified firmware or a chip for your box? If not, i guess the DVD-ROM is most likely worned-out. Sometimes a laser-tweak will fix this, sometimes you need a new DVD-Drive.

BTW. with a "locked" XBox you can copy every game to the HD and play from there, thats not a feature which only the "unlocked" boxes have.
Maybe your box was unlocked in England and you did an official update from Microsoft.... but in this case only copies won't play, with originals no problem though.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Hi
My Xbox was never unlocked in England nor did I get it chipped or anything, I guess it's just old and needs a new DVD drive. I've been here for three years, never been able to connect to XBL My VPN provider said I can set up a VPN on my wifi router, but I'm not sure how and they have no support for that.
You can only copy the games to the HD and play from there if your DVD drive is working right?

It is possible that your drive just need a small lasertweak (there is a tiny poti inside the drive where it can be tweaked) and maybe no need for a new drive.
But if you have to buy a new one, you need exactly the same version (Samsung, Lite-On....) and need read out the drive-key and write it to the new drive... or else it won't work.
I'm sure i can help you out, since i did all this before... but i'm very busy at the moment.

I also did the lasertweak two times, because my drive did not read game discs anymore. The tweak is limited and will not be the same as a new drive but it is an option and for me its working fine.

You can only copy the games to the HDD if the drive is working, and it will also ask for the DVD everytime you start the game from HDD. (copy protection)

As for XBL, i was able to play without any VPN but sometimes its blocked. If your VPN provider told you that its possible to setup VPN on your router they must have some solutions. But you also need the right Router (with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware). I also have my box connected over VPN now, working great.

Best you send me a PM and if i have time, i sure can help you with that.

Easthouse (2 posts) • 0

There is a place that might be able to help you with getting it unlocked, it's up some stairs on 民生街 a side road off wuyi road.

One of my students told me about it, there are tons of xbox shops and people doing repairs there as well as having loads of linked xboxes and ps3's and that kinda stuff.

If wuyi road is behind you as you walk along 民生街, the entrance is on the left, you go up some stairs to the 2nd or 3rd floor and it covers most of the 2nd floor of the building with maybe 20-30 very small shops.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I tried two places, they keep telling me the Xbox is too old to unlock.. :(
Anyone know where I can buy a second hand console?

@MPRin:

Can you check the back of your Box, and tell me the type/serial number? If it's an older Box, it most likely is better to unlock... at least that's my opinion. ;)

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Yes, Cromson, that's exactly what I thought.

Serial number : 530762561505
Product ID :77097752530762561505

Related forum threads

Login to post