GoKunming Forums

What to bring to Kunming?

SJayne (33 posts) • 0

Hello all :)
I'm moving to Kunming for a couple of months (possibly longer) from Australia.
Just wondering if anyone can suggest any 'must bring' items that I should take with me from home?

So far it seems essential that I bring medications for diarrhea, headaches etc etc. Academic transcripts, passport photocopies.
I've heard tell of people not being able to find antiperspirant deodorant! Or decent shampoo etc. I don't want to load my suitcase with unnecessary crap, but no deodorant would be an effing nightmare!

Any further items anyone could think of? That you might find yourself thinking 'if only I had've bought (such and such) with me...!'

Thanks everyone! :)

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Hi!
KM is a pretty international city. You can find deodorant no problem in the Carrefour, Metro and Walmart. Coffee is abundant too. English novels are easy to come by as well. I really can't think of much you need that you can't buy here. Extra socks and underwear, Chinese socks are pretty rubbish. If you have bigger feet then bring extra shoes, they are hard to buy here. Also, if you are any size larger than skinny then you'll have trouble buying jeans etc. Bring extras. :)
If you're a girl, bring Tampax. Chinese don't use them.
If you're a guy bring condoms. Chinese condoms are bad quality and small.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

To add to the list.

If you are a tea drinker, bring your favourite brand of tea. I would also bring instant coffee if that is your thing. It will take you a few days to find stuff that you might crave (like coffee).

When travelling, bring something to read and some cookies. Delays are normal here.
At the airport shop you will need to buy water. You will see Evian/etc. at silly prices. They sell cheaper water, but they make it hard to find. Also some airports (not all) have free water dispensers.

Don't forget your electrical chargers.
If you read a lot, get a kindle. So much easier to find and download books you want if you have Kindle with 3G/wireless.
Bring your iPod/mp3 player. If nothing else you can insulate yourself from the madness. Some days are too much, som days.

Bring a security wire/computer lock, if bringing a laptop.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

As you are an Aussie, if you are into your vegemite or marmite, bring enough to last a few months! Or if cereal is your thing, bring a few bags of ya favourite, its expensive here and the selection is small.

While Kunming is a big city, I wouldn't yet call it an international city. Shanghai/Guangzhou/Beijing and maybe a couple of others are international cities in China, Kunming maybe in 10 years or so.

Also bring a sense of adventure, lose any ego and bring an open mind/heart. Be prepared for everything to be completely nonsensical but somehow work out OK. Be prepared for language problems everywhere because English is barely spoken. Then China won't disappoint, at least in the beginning!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Paul's shop has a large selection of cereals, but yes, probably double the price they are at home.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I keep seeing people say Paul's shop has lots of things, but I have yet to receive a reply about where Paul's shop is located.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Have you seen the price of frozen dumplings in the UK? About 3 times the price here.

'English is barely spoken', don't fret, they barely speak Mandarin either.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

The medicines you mentioned you can get here easily, but bring prescription meds, naturally. You only need academic transcripts if you want a job or to teach. Any photocopies can be made here, even of whole books. Coffee, tea all available locally. Things to read and cookies available here. Bottled water everywhere, as well as easily-boiled tap water. Security wires/ computer locks available. Kindle, available here, is not a bad idea. Insulating self from the madness somewhat negates the point of coming in the first place.

Vegemite, marmite hard to find - also large shoes, clothes.

This is not the edge of the world.

Related forum threads

Login to post