GoKunming Forums

Driving with a non Chinese driver's license

vagabond48 (75 posts) • 0

I am a US citizen with a Thai driver's license.
I am coming for a short visit.

I have a one year residence permit.
I might be able to borrow my wife's family car so I was wondering if I can drive in China,
(1) with my Thai driver's license
(2) with an international driver's license gotten in Thailand
(3) none of the above (I am not interested in getting a Chinese one)

Thanks

Asanee (117 posts) • 0

I second that.

Why wouldn't you be interested in getting a Chinese license? It would allow you to legally drive in China because unlike in Thailand, driving laws in China are strictly enforced, with unlicensed driving attracting tough penalties.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

"unlike in Thailand, driving laws in China are strictly enforced"
...no idea about Thailand, but have you seen the driving in Kunming?? "Barely enforced at all" would be more accurate.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Coming for a short visit, and so not being interested in a Ch license is understandable.

vagabond48 (75 posts) • 0

"Why wouldn't you be interested in getting a Chinese license?"
For one, I don't live in China and this time I will be in China only 2 weeks.

".no idea about Thailand, but have you seen the driving in Kunming??"
The Thais are also reckless drivers but my Chinese wife thinks the Chinese are worse and a lot less polite.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

In Kunming they are becoming very arrogant and insulting drivers, on top of all their other bad habits.

2 weeks?? call john xie's car service, he advertises here, no hassles, good service.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

The Chinese drivers ARE worse, and they are MUCH less polite, and VERY aggressive.

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

I concur! The Chinese are the worse drivers i have ever seen! But there is no police presence. I have only been pulled over once, that was before i got my Chinese DL, he told me i should not be driving without a Chinese L then just let me go, not even a bribe was given! Traffic police are treated with contempt in china, If you are nice to them, they wont mess with you to much.

I know a couple traffic police guys in Kunming. hahaha believe me, they are not loving there jobs!

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

I have heard you can get a temporary DL at the airport. Its for tourists and is good for the length of your stay...I have never actually seen once, but apparently they exist.

Related forum threads

Login to post