GoKunming Forums

Seeking clean restaurants in Yun Da area

rebobbinator (23 posts) • 0

After a nasty bout of food poisoning, I am a little fearful of going out to eat at local establishments again. I would like to know if you have any recommendations for consistently good, clean restaurants (local or Western style) in the Yun Da area. Thanks!

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

You are making the usual mistake. The reason you got ill was because you were not used to the local bugs. Your recent experience has resulted in you getting there. Next time you eat the bug you will not notice. My advice is to go back there; you are immune now. (Well a bit more immune than before).

Best way to build up resistance is to go to the worst place you can find lick the floor and after a nasty couple of days spend on the toilet you can from then on go wherever you like without anything. If not than you will spend the rest of your time being worried and stressed out about the possibility to get ill and not having a relaxed time and great local food at decent prices.

Don't make the mistake to think that "western style" restaurants are any better especially a'la carte restaurants. They are the worst. The need to have everything that is on the menu in stock leads to ingredients being old and often stored in a wrong way (Meat dripping on vegetables). And these places might trick you into eating western food like raw vegetables like salads which are sure no no's (At least till you have build up your resistance against the local bugs).

Natsymir (101 posts) • 0

I agree completely with the previous speaker. Go eat at Shípíng Shāokǎo a few times and you'll be immune to everything except cyanide:

kunmingsshabbiest.blog.se/[...]

That said, you could always pay attention to the Food Safety Grades ratings. Though I have yet to find one single A-rated restaurant in all off Kunming, making me think it's mostly about bribes. (I've made a shortpost about this too, here: kunmingsshabbiest.blog.se/omfg-omfg/ )

Sure, I could maybe recommend some restaurants where I myself have never, to my experience, gotten laduzi or food poisoning. However, since I eat at Shípíng Shāokǎo and the Wenlin muslims, my stomach is probably iron-coated by now, so that might not be too useful advice for you.

Though...I have neverheard any laowai ever who claims to have gotten food posioned/laduzi'd by the canteens of Shida and Yunda, -despite- their food being buffets. Unfortunately these two both have rather horrible food, but at least it's cheap. However, In the dormitory area of Yunda, hidden inside a neighborhood directly east of the bustling food street running west-east from Yunda's east gate, is a great and unbelievably cheap restaurant (with an enormous meny, to boot) that few laowai seem to get sick from. It's called 东二something餐厅something, I'll review it on my blog shortly with more precise directions.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

I think tigertiger mentioned some chinese TCM medicine that's useful for food poisoning. Maybe you can get some and carry it around with you.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

This 'poisoning' could also be giardiasis, which is common here. Did you have eggy burps? If you did it is the giardiasis. Caused by ingesting unsterilized water. This water could be in ice, or in the water the salad was washed in.
They will give you medicine for this, but basically, you just need to let it pass through. It is a protozoan, no immunity, you can get it again.

My family now follow a few basic rules for eating out, and have not been sick for a while.

Avoid raw foods, unless they are to be plunged in boiling liquid (a la hotpot).
Avoid cold dishes.
Avoid meat, unless you see it killed.
Avoid tofu in the evenings, especially in summer. Tofu is usually made early morning and it can easily go a little rancid by the end of the day. Sometimes you can taste if it has, unless it is spiced.

Rinse all your cup, bowl, glass, and chopsticks with the tea they provide free. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

TCM medicine for gut rot. Black pills
I can recommend the following local OTC and if the pharmacist does not have it there are several similar substitutes that do the same job. Not all are capsules, some are little black pills. All smell like anis.

Huo Xiang Zheng Qi 藿香正气 Jiao Nang胶囊 (capsules). Main ingredient is Giant Hysop.

Take 4 immediately, then 3 or 4 tabs/caps 3x per day for 3 days. They take effect very quickly, and the taking of them for 3 days is to kill residual bacteria. Best to take them as soon as you think you have a problem.
We also use them as a prophylactic if we think we have consumed bad food.

We always carry these.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Indeed as tigertiger states there is giardia which is a nasty amoeba. Can be recognized by having stomach cramps and farting and burping. Better not get it and if you have it you can use albendazole or metronidazole to get rid of it. Mostly water born so stay away from tap water and raw vegetables Alternative treatment flushing them out with large quantities of beer.

Giardia being an amoeba encapsulates itself when it doesn't like the environment it lives in (your guts) any longer and resurfaces when it things the situation is getting better, that means worse for you. So it hits you when you are fatigued, drunk, have another sickness or having your period. Avoid these and you will have less problems.

Personally I never had giardia in all my time in Yunnan and surroundings.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

There are many, many things that people call food poisoning. It could really be anything. Most restaurants in China have a different standard than Western restaurants, and like everyone here said, the first few times can be brutal on the belly. But, you will acclimate. I find most of the restaurants in the Yun Da area to be pretty clean and good.

Related forum threads

Login to post