GoKunming Forums

Where to find cheap tents?

Natsymir (101 posts) • 0

Me and my friends need a couple of CHEAP tents for a mountain trip next week. Does anybody know where such tents could be lent, bought or rented? We will pass by Dali and Gaoshan in Nujiang on the way to our destination, so it would be possible to pick up tents in any of those places, + Kunming.

The tents would, of course, need to be water repellant, as we're going to hardcore mountains in northern Yunnan.

Thankful for any advice!

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Both Walmart and Carrefour have cheap tents. Not heavy duty stuff but will do the job. Not they are for the Chinese market so rather short.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Try Metro, everything here is seasonal, but now it is camping season. The best selection of camping gear seems to be in Metro at the moment. A reasonable range of 1/2/3 person tents, single and two layer. Ridge tents, instant tents, automatic tent.
2 types of self inflating sleep mats,
a range of inflatable matresses
foam mats,
several types of sleeping bags down to 5*C grade. Consider this as it gets cold at altitude at night.
A choice of camping stoves, cooking pots, lanterns, and other camping paraphernalia.

Tents from under 100rmb up to 600.
Sleeping bags from about 80 upwards. I think my 5*C mummy bag was 129rmb. (check the sizes on the labels, some are less than the normal 80cm at the shoulder). I think I paid under 300rmb for my 3man, twin layer, sewn in groundsheet, pop up tent. Used in in the rain at about 3000m, no problems.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

I bought all my camping gear from a little store behind the WalMart at Xiaoximen. The tent was on sale. About 150, I think. It's held up pretty well.

chris.bielinski (4 posts) • 0

Check the Bird & Flower market near the New Era hotel in the central KM. I have been purchasing and bartering items from their since 2005 and they always perform to the standards.

blueice (73 posts) • 0

i'm not sure if they have any tents left, but the outdoor goods store near 赵家堆 and the old kunming medical college off of renmin west road is getting relocated and everything is heavily discounted.

Related forum threads

Login to post