GoKunming Forums

Wooden dowels?

weekapaughead (51 posts) • 0

Has anyone seen any thin wooden dowels around km? I have been looking everywhere for them and i cant find what im looking for. I need them to be about the width of an index finger.

I know someones got a dowel shop near their house!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Do you mean wooden dowels (short pieces used for joining woodwork), or dowelling (long lengths)?

I have seen the former, but only in 10mm dia at Dong Guan Lu decorators market.

If the latter, there are lots of wood and plaster moulding suppliers that do thin strips at Da Shang Hui, but I have not noticed doweling as I was not looking specifically for this.

What do you need it for, and I can keep an eye open, as I am going out to look at suppliers today. I might see something of use to you.

weekapaughead (51 posts) • 0

I am going to use them to hang some paintings. put one at the top and one at the bottom. even some really thin bamboo would work.

I also plan on using one of those stick to the wall hangers to hang it so anything too heavy won't work.

Thanks a lot!!!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The moulding shops have every profile of wood, except round. Probably because mouldings need at least one flat side. This stuff usually comes in 4m lengths, so if you go to buy take a saw or a strong knee. There is a selection of soft and hardwoods available.

Lightweight alternative would be the narrow guage plastic pipe. I think the stuff they use for electrical conduit is lighter than water pipe.

If I was to use bamboo, I would glue over the top/bottom of the pictures to make a sleeve/tube first. Then insert the bamboo. This would get around the problems with the taper and irregular shape of the bamboo knuckles.

Related forum threads

Login to post