GoKunming Forums

Mo Ni Hei - Mud Festival

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The time is near for the annual Mo Ni Hei Mud Festival in Lincang.

www.hugoyunnantravel.com/des_lincang.asp?page=5

I hope the users can share info about this topic so others can share in the festivities. Reservations at hotels go quickly so begin to make plans now. This years festival falls on a Saturday so I am sure it will be packed. I will go there this year so let me know if you are interested.

To give you an idea of the rates at hotels - A 1 star hotel that regurlarly goes for 60 Yuan is 400 Yuan during this week. A 2 star hotel that goes for 120 Yuan will be 560 Yuan for that week.

Travel to Cang Yuan is best from:
Dali to Yuan Xian = 5 Hours
Yuan Xian to Lincang = 3 Hours
Lincang to Cang Yuan - 4 Hours

Some of the major locations include Cang Yuan and Geng Ma.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The festival will begin April 29 (Mon) and end May 5 (Sun) - same as the Twins Festival in Mojiang, Puer.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Lessons learned from Mo Ni Hei:

1. If you want to stay overnight in Cang Yuan you should make reservations 2 months in advance as all hotels are booked very quickly. Hotel prices are ridiculous in Cang Yuan during this week so it is best to save and stay over night in neighboring Geng Ma which is only 80 km (2 hours) north of Cang Yuan. There are 2 buses every day from Geng Ma to Cang Yuan or you can take a taxi for 250 Yuan or you can take a minivan from Geng Ma to Meng Sheng for 15 Yuan and then another minivan from Meng Sheng to Cang Yuan for 20 Yuan.

2. The first day of Mo Ni Hei begins at 8PM with an opening ceremony. No mud slinging on day 1.

3. The actual Mud Festival begins at 3PM on the second day and lasts only about 1 hour. Showers are set up for all to wash off after the festival. The water is cold but you can really get cleaned up in the bamboo showers they provide.

4. Foreigners get EXTRA attention during the festival so expect to be completely covered in mud. You will look like a bronze statue when it is over and done. Unfortunately, there really in no way to avoid getting mud in your eyes so this was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

5. Wear sandals, shorts and a T-shirt and nothing more. If you want to take pictures then go to the staging area away from the mud pit but this does not guarantee you will not get muddy. If you bring a backpack or camera or cell phone into the mud pit expect it to be completely covered in mud.

6. It is best if you have a designated CLEAN person waiting for you with a change of clothes after you shower.

Overall, this is a great experience and there are several journalists eager to interview foreigners attending this festival.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

Unfortunately, there really in no way to avoid getting mud in your eyes so this was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

swimming goggles?

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

You have to be there to understand. You can not do anything other than walk around like a blind person with muddy goggles on your face.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

Yeah, I guess I'd have to be there. Sounds like there's a whole lotta mud being flung around.

Ok, how about this then? Goggles + a super soaker water gun to wash the mud off the goggles.

Or, just tolerate the mud in your eyes and concede that there isn't much you can do about it.

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

Did it two years ago and although I was covered in mud and blood at the end, (got socked in the nose by a cunt that was trying to put mud in my eyes, he got what was coming to him) had a really kickass time....worthwhile for anyone who likes it dirty, best enjoyed with an entire morning of local 佤族 baijiu and friends.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The festival will begin April 29 (Fri) and end May 6 (Fri) give or take a few days.

Twins Festival in Mojiang, Puer takes place during the same timeframe.

Reservations go by quickly so the early bird gets the worm. Hotel prices skyrocket during these events.

Related forum threads

Login to post