GoKunming Forums

Work as a Musician? What is Kunming like for musicians/DJs?

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Hi,
My husband is a guitarist and DJ of various genres. He's also done some sound work.

We're planning to move to Kunming this summer and were wondering what the job situation is like for foreign musicians. Is it possible to pick up gigs in Kunming?

I did read some of the "Monkey gig" thread (but that's not really an option anyway - my husband's Asian, not white).
Apart from paid gigs, it sounds like there will be opportunities to meet other musicians and set up jam sessions, etc. so he's looking forward to that!
Thanks for any info.
-Nancy

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

Yeah, tons of opportunities. Probably 4-5 nights a week with open mics and lots of people who would be willing to start a band as long as theres a good vibe with the music. In terms of DJing, I think theres alot of opportunities there as well. I DJ when I get the chance and although I am far from perfect, people tend to care more about being able to hear danceable music than an error free DJ. (thank god) So yeah, while alot of people say the music scene here isn't so hot, I tend to disagree. just be open and have fun....that's whats its all about.

Related forum threads

Login to post