GoKunming Forums

Travel in Kunming/Yunnan

Shantelle (2 posts) • 0

Hi there

I am looking for information on where to go in Kunming and Yunnan just to chill and experience the culture.
I am not a bar/club person and love Buddhist temples and the outdoors so any suggestions would be great.

Also where can I travel from Yunnan within a reasonable budget for example can I go to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand??

Shantelle xx

david.jorm (11 posts) • 0

Hi Shantelle

Xi shan (western hills) is definitely the place to go in Kunming for some culture and nature. There are several interesting temples hidden up there, such as the famous bamboo temple and dragon's gate. There are also all kinds of things to explore and i've run into everything from mushroom hunters to a prison camp up there! Just get a mountain bike and head up there. I'll be back in Kunming early September, happy to show you the way if you're around then.

As for overseas travel, the word is there is a direct train from the north train station to Hanoi in Vietnam. There is no overland border with Thailand - you can fly direct to Chiang Mai or Bangkok but this will cost.

Dave

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

David's suggestion for mountain biking is wise - there's lots of good riding around Kunming, and the bike buys a lot of freedom.

travel-wise, Yunnan has plenty to see (Dali, Lijiang, Zhongdian, Deqin, Jinghong, Yuanyang), and there are land border crossings with Laos and Vietnam. for a long time, there's been talk of a boat along the Mekong from Jinghong into Thailand (the Mekong forms the Lao/Burmese border, so travel along the river avoids the need for visas for these countries) but i'm unsure if this route still exists.

Related forum threads

Login to post