GoKunming Forums

Studying Chinese degree in Kunming

Eugen (3 posts) • 0

Hello folks,

I'm a Scandinavian guy considering studying in Kunming for my bachelor's degree of Chinese language.

Yunnan University seems to offer a suitable undergraduate program called Chinese Language and Literature. However, there's a requirement of HSK4. Does anyone know if they offer preparatory classes etc. or do I have to learn a lot more Chinese before being able to apply to Yunnan University's program of Chinese?

Also, does the Yunnan University have good teachers? I heard Kunming is really good city in terms of its weather, people and location but I'm a bit afraid if the local dialect will hinder studying mandarin.

My budget is about 4000 yuan per month at least and if I get a scholarship it will rise to around 7000 yuan per month. Would that be enough for living in Kunming? If I need more money, is it possible for a non-native English speaker to find a job (my English level is decent I think)?

Cheers

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

7000 yuan per month is more than enough for a student to live in Kunming. 4000 per month can also be done, depending on your lifestyle. Check the threads about daily expenditures and what is Kunming like.
Most youngsters know Mandarin, although some have an accent. For example, some will pronounce "s" instead of "sh", or "ts" instead or "tch". Once you get used to it, it's okay.

Yunnan University offer Chinese courses. If you don't know Chinese, you can try to do a semester or two to get your HSK4.

For jobs, if you are white, it doesn't matter if you don't know any English. You'll get employed. And if you have blonde hair and blue eyes, you can even become the king of Kunming!

Eugen (3 posts) • 0

yankee 00, how about light brown hair and light brown eyes? Do I get to be at least a prince of Kunming? ;) At least my skin is whiter than vampire's, thanks to the wonderfully sunny Nordic winter.

Oh, so there are lower level courses there too? I really would like to apply there but I'm a bit worried about it, since I wish to apply for CSC scholarship through my country and I wonder if they accept it if I need to do unofficial preparatory courses. Oh well.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There are lots of lower level courses, usually study for HSK is offered as an extra, but only for upper beginer or intermediate students.

If you have never studied Chinese before, and there is a time sensitive issue, you may need to re-think. HSK is a formal test of all language skills. Reading writing, listening and speaking. Go online and check what HSK level 4 requires. Remember you must be at this level before you will be accepted. Otherwise you will not have a 'cat in hell's' chance of surviving the first semester. You will be studying in a formal academic class, and drop-outs are not an option for the uni. They will be strict about entrance requirements.

With a view to HSK, which is in strict Putonghua (Mandarin),with the listening texts in Beijing accent and dialect, study in Kunming may not be the easiest choice.

If you are thinking of taking a year out first, come to China and test the water. Learning Chinese is not as easy as learning other European languages (for speakers of European Languages).

Eugen (3 posts) • 0

I have been in China before + I've studied the language a bit so I have the basic idea of the arduous road ahead.

Well, I do also have the time - let's say it would take 6 - 12 months to study for HSK 4 and it wouldn't be a problem.

The problem arises from the fact that I do wish to have scholarship for my Chinese degree, otherwise I might not come to China. It's not possible to choose multiple universities for that scholarship so I need to stick with one uni. If I'd choose for example Beijing Languages and Culture University it wouldn't be a problem, since they do have rather good preparatory program which lasts for months if you can't pass the HSK when you come there. Also, they have clear website telling how the degree is structured, what level of Chinese you need to start it etc...

Yunnan Daxue on the other hand, well, I've no idea what to expect in there. Do they give, say, 6 months of Chinese classes to a total beginner after which you could start the program? I've no idea. What is expected from the students taking up the undergraduate degree, other than mentioning the ambivalent HSK4 requirement? Again, I've no idea. That's why ANY information you guys here can give of studying in Kunming is needed - there aren't many other places to ask and I do know how infamously helpful the student offices in Chinese universities are if you're sending some English questions to them.

That being said, Kunming definitely sounds like a great place to study. Nice weather, relaxed atmosphere and not as many foreigners and distractions as in Beijing.

kingofthekerb (131 posts) • 0

yep, if you don't have HSK u can do preparatory class for one year/semester. the standard of the program itself isn't as high as in other schools (BLCU, etc) but your chinese level with improve smoothly regardless

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you want the scholarship for your degree, this does not mean that you will definately get funding for preparatory study. If you do then you may not get it for your degree. Check with the scholarship boards you are approaching.
You will probably be expected to be at HSK4 before you commence your degree course, an additional year.

In this case you can study for HSK anywhere (self funded), and then do the degree somewhere else.

When I looked at study in 2006.

It seemed that the top courses were in the International universities in Tier 1 cities.
If you want HSK you may need to go here.

The best programme for Chinese study used to be at Shanghai Jiaotong University. At the time they were the only univesity that taught western students in different classes, as we have a different learning/teaching method.
Some classes are full of Japanese and other Asian students who are used to rote learning. Japanese students can also read Chinese charachters, and you can fall behind in reading and writing very quickly.

Shanghai Fudan had a policy of rooming Chinese and foreign students together. This is great for cross cultural learning. Perhaps something to ask for.

Beijing WenHuaDaXue had lost its lustre. The courses are out of date, and the University appears to have been resting on its laurels for too long.

There are arguements for and against 'Normal' unis.
Against - you can get some trainee teachers.
For - the focus is on teaching. Learner teachers are supervised. Teaching is more closely monitored. The institution can pick from their best students when the finaly recruit grads.
Some Normal unis (eg Shanghai East China Normal) have developed their own materials that are up to date and relevant.

By contrast, other unis can not guarantee quality of teaching, especially regarding resources.

Look for the unis with an international reputation. They have a better learning culture and are not fixated on profits, will have better resources, and teachers.
Almost every uni will offer a Mandarin course, but only a few can resource it properly.

Look for universities that offer HSK as a core subject. Some universities offer it as an option, this means if enough students sign up for it then they will engage a part time teacher. If not enought students sign up for it then no course. Unless it is a core subject area, DO NOT trust promises of admin people who will want to sign you up (no matter what).

I do not know what percentage of Kunming students will demand HSK

Yunda has lost its sparkle and is no longer the top uni in the province, let alone nationally, or internationally.

Final note.
Ask specific questions. The only stupid question is the one you did not ask.
e.g.
Q. Do you offer HSK? A. Yes.
Q. If I want HSK will I get it? A. Yes.
Q. How many students are studying HSK at the moment? A. I don't know (red flag probably being evasive).
Q. Can you find out for me? A. Yes (this does not mean anything).
Unless they come back with a definitive answer, you probably won't get HSK. Yes is not definitive.

Inthelivinfor (50 posts) • 0

About Jiaotong Univeristy in Shanghai i have to say that my best friend in china though it was a really bad place to study.

We both have been studying Chinese in Shanghai and then we decided to move to Chengdu. When the semester was over, he said that SWUFE was a much better university on the goal to learn Chinese.

I really think Shanghai is not the best place to study Chinese.

Related forum threads

Login to post