GoKunming Forums

Cheese! Where?

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

If anyone would be interested in forming a group and importing cheese I can get my friends to send some cheddar from Nepal.

I was paying 500 nepal rupies( 36 rmb) for 1 kg wedge I'd cut off the "wheel" at the corner grocer.
The grocers dont make much but even at 30 rmb it would be worth looking into..

One of Nepal's export is cheese..they got the cows, pastures but the cow s are sacred..

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

@mike4g_air
Have you got any follow up on that? 36 rmb sound like a good price. Do you have an estimation for how much it would cost after shipping and taxes?

dr. chibbles (36 posts) • 0

I've become quite a fan of rubing (乳饼), a Yunnan goat cheese. Maybe the flavor isn't what you are looking for. It is, however, fairly cheap and available at most wet markets. Probably not too good on a sandwich, though.

BarbaraBarbara (63 posts) • 0

We buy New Zealand Anchor cheddar cheese in bulk. It's the export quality and I think is more tasty than what you would get in NZ. We, Slice of Heaven, will happily slice off (about) as much as you need and sell it to you at 120rmb a kilogram. This sounds about the same or less than Wallmart, Metro or C.4.

Natsymir (101 posts) • 0

Rubing is delicious. Heavenly Manna's and Guozilou's are among the best.

The tibetan restaurant Makye Ame also has a big selection of various dishes involving cheese, some that are straight out of heaven.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

In addition to Slice of Heaven (Thanks Barb), there's also Wicker Basket in Beichen (not sure about the other WB). They sell Gouda, Jack, Cheddar, etc (mostly standard fare) - just ask at the counter. They MIGHT even be able to slice it into sandwich sized slices...but you'll have to ask about that one.

Related forum threads

Login to post