GoKunming Forums

Minimum Daily Expenditures

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

@tigertiger,

Note that I said my sister-in-law has 15 per day (gross income). Utilities do not come out of that (we pay them), nor does she pay rent (my wife owns the apartment). 15 is NOT enough to cover her bare essentials, medicine is extra and she does not eat out (she can't even get down the stairs).

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I don't know any foreigners who'd have to live on such little money, although I do remember my first year in China, near the end of the month I had to be real careful with the pesos. It was definitely not cool to have 3 days left to pay day and all I had in my wallet was 50 kuai.

Now I probably could get by on 15 yuan if I tried, but as Tigertiger said: Why would you? Our current food budget is 3-4000 a month but that includes many visits at the better restaurants and western food.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

'In fairness to the OP' ha!
, if he wants to live on 10 rmb per day, he may already be on medication.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

You could do it if you really want/need to. But you'd have to buy in bulk once and then consume slowly:

A bit of horseradish: 0,2 RMB
A tomato: 0,5 RMB
Some other assorted root veggies: 2 RMB
rice for one meal: 1 RMB
Some tofu for a meal: 2 RMB
oil for one meal: 2 RMB
two glasses of water: 0,2 RMB
two eggs: 1 RMB
peanuts for a meal: 1 RMB

total: 9,9 RMB. Get a sweet for your 1 mao.

When I was in Germany and had just quit my job, I was living on 2,5 EUR a day. In-season and root vegetables and rice are the key. Peanuts give you your protein. But don't do this forever because it may impact your health.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

1 person can certainly live off 10rmb a day. My wife and I (two people) survive on about 15rmb/day for meals. Sometimes we even have a little meat.
I didn't hear a single person in here mention beans (though somebody did say tofu). These have plenty of protein. From what I've read, you can basically live forever on a diet of beans and rice..probably best complimented with some greens, eggs and meat every now and then.

Buy in bulk, buy on sale and buy in season. Simple food can taste good too if you put a little effort into it.

Sweet potato tastes good. I like it.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

If you look at my OP, I said that this thread is just for fun, to see what the minimum would be. I am not trolling or arguing. It really is just for fun!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

All bar rent and utilities for 10RMB? If you need to get sonewhere by bus and back most days, subtract 2-3RMB. You need to drink water at least, subtract 2-3RMB [dopes anyone drink tap water here?]. And something to occupy your time - paper and pencil perhpas? cost, 2-3 RMB. Doesn't leave a lot for food! My ma-in-law eats dandelion leaves growing wild in our neighbouhood garden. She might have further tips!!

Related forum threads

Login to post