GoKunming Forums

That "Spam button"

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I've checked out GoK the last few mornings only to find the Forums plastered with Spam. True, it gets deleted later in the day, but isn't it about time members were able to flag it up immediately? A "Report to Moderater" has been talked about for ages. Can it be that difficult to implement?

scally (127 posts) • 0

GoKunming is aware of the forum spam problem. Rest assured it is as annoying to us as it is to you.

Spam has to be stopped at the gate and to date we have implemented the following actions to limit it, largely based on user suggestions:

- A user verification system
- CAPTCHAs to limit intrusion by bots
- Banning the use of disposable email addresses by new users

There are also security measures running in the background to block fraudulent users from posting links. We are working on other solutions as well.

Unfortunately there are software programs available which are designed to evade security measures and then spam forums worldwide. There are even YouTube tutorials that teach people how to use them.

We have to walk a fine line between blocking spam accounts and not infringing on the posting rights of our legitimate audience.

Thanks for your input.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

It doesn't even need a "report to moderator". At the top of the screen is a Contact link. Just post in there with the details of the spammers new id and it will be gone quick.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

It doesn't need a report to mod button, but it would be easier.

A button is easier than - follow the link, enter your name, enter your email, copy and past the link, write a message, and press send.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Sure, it's easier. But it only takes me about 10 seconds to do a report. My name and email get entered with autofill by typing only one letter and the spammer's id is done with copy and paste.

I'm sure there will be a SPAM or report button in time, but right now reporting it is really easy.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Scally, thanks for the reply. I have just used the contact form as AlPage48 recommended but i totally agree that a simple button would be MUCH easier (and more convenient for users and the staff).

this post is in no way meant to detract from the hard work that i'm sure the GoKunming team do and i know that we're all grateful for the effort you guys put in. THANK YOU.

Related forum threads

Login to post