GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Daxue, Yunnan Shifan Daxue

Huysmans (3 posts) • 0

Hi everyone,

I know there's already plenty of post dealing with this subject, but i'd like to get some further information and other feedback about those two uni. I'll move to kunming in september to study chinese for the whole year.

According to what i heard, Shifan Daxue seems to be better about chinese learning. But i also heard that they were far more rigourous, and sometimes harsh with people.

For example, people had trouble getting their passport back for hollydays. Did anyone face this problem ?

I'd like to know if it is possible to miss a few classes (maybe 1 or 2 weeks/semester) or is it risky ? What consequences ?

And if you have any other information that may be helpfull, i would be gratefull.

CaeruleusCaeruleus (51 posts) • 0

Not sure how much you care about this, but Yunnan University is the top ranking university in the province and a 211 university. I have no idea about quality of education you will get from Yunnan Normal University, but the Alumni connection you get from spending time at YNDX will be way better than what you would get from YSFDX.

Though if you are interested in studying in China and have the money, The best universities for Alumni are the ones in Beijing and Shanghai.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There are lots of factors that will affect your experience at a uni. incl:

Quality of teaching
Resources
Teaching facilities - classrooms, language labs.
Course materials
Quality of teaching
Accommodation

The ranking of a university is a mixture of these, and more. But the ranking is based on the Chinese student experience. It may not reflect what an overseas student will experience.

I went to a good uni in Shanghai to study Mandarin. However, the uni did not run the course itself, it had separate management. It was not a well run course.
Another thing I have noticed with all universities in China. The paying student is not seen as 'the customer' (unlike back home), they are merely the cash cow.

Related forum threads

Login to post