GoKunming Forums

Private language schools in Kunming

aaavr (11 posts) • 0

I'm thinking of studying in Kunming starting in March 2013, and yeah I know this post is just asking for spam, but what have your experiences with private language schools been? Any you can reccomend, or any you reccomend to stay away from?
It seems that a lot of schools offer one semester courses, I think I'd be interested in doing something like that, attending 20ish hours a week of class. I'm hoping to focus a little more on speaking and listening, while still covering some hanzi. (I plan to practice reading and writing outside of class, don't need to take up too much class time on it)

By the time I arrive in Kunming I will have only studied chinese for 20 weeks at BLCU in Beijing, so I'd still say I'm a beginner. I'm looking for something that's pretty intense, I would plan to study for 3-4 hours each day after class.

I considered the universities but I think private schools are better... what do you guys think?

DiegoDave (16 posts) • 0

I can recommend TenWest in North Kunming, and I have several times on this forum. TenWest has been my school for over a year and the best thing about it: The owner/director, Albert, is an honest and helpful guy.

There are good teachers in several schools, but the teacher turnover at TenWest is low because they like their boss. I think one-on-one is the best way to spend your money because you'll advance much faster.

Whichever you choose, enjoy Kunming!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I teach English at Robert's School, which is affiliated with Mei's Mandarin School, so this is not an unbiased plug. But I do know at least half a dozen of the foreign students there socially and they are all very happy with the small class sizes, personalized help (both academic and outside the classroom) and studying in a school owned by a very experienced and approachable British guy. (...I should add that there are more than 6 students in the school - that's just the ones I know personally!)

mitty_abby (4 posts) • 0

...hummm idk which school is good for you....but if u want a native friend to practice Chinese, I would like to help you for free:) hummm...u may see it as a language exchange.

Related forum threads

Login to post