GoKunming Forums

Guide in northern Myanmar

flengs (109 posts) • 0

I'm looking for a creative and knowledgable guide who organises trips in Northern Myanmar.

Anyone who can connect me with someone?

Any info on current situation with foreigners crossing the border from China to Myanmar through Ruili?

Cheers!

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Well, I did get across this summer, with expensive deals and permits, and hours of paperwork. The bureaucracy was on the Burmese side, and they were as confused as the Chinese. The Chinese had to call to Beijing to get green light, but it came. Apparently it was only closed to Chinese. The Burmese kept contacting Naypidaw, and finally stamped the wrong visa.

Anyway, we had to get to Lashio as soon as possible, due to insurgents in area. Before sunset a must. Two weeks earlier a bomb had been detonated at the immigration, and some buses attacked. The guy who met us at border, had heard gun shots during night, - "not firecrackers".

Anyway, the area is nothing for tourism at moment. Unless you want to sneak across and be bitten by a cobra. The person who started this thread may want to put the word "Kachin" in google.

wenshidi (25 posts) • 0

Can I recommend Keith Lyons who has recently expanded his tour guide business from Yunnan to Burma.
Here is an article he wrote here about Lijiang where he currently is the number one guide..
www.gokunming.com/en/blog/item/2787/getting_away_lijiang
Check out his fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor.
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/[...]

He is in Burma at the moment on a property buying trip, and I sure that he would be happy to help you out.
I traveled with him Burma earlier in the year and it was a wonderful experience.
You can email him direct at keithalyons at gmail.com

Related forum threads

Login to post