GoKunming Forums

Running Club (Dianchi Lake) 8am every Sunday

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

A couple of us showed up last weekend - a bit of miscommunication! But this weekend it sounds like its all on again! We will run rain/snow/blizzard/hail through flood/fire/famine/plague.

Actually, we probably won't run if its even looking slightly damp, or slightly disastrous, but as thats unlikely, come along!

Haigeng Park North/Boom Gate @8am this Sunday
Bring 10 kuai to get in
Running time = around 1 hour, but as we go as far as we want, and do 2 laps, thats entirely up to you :-)
If enough people show up: 2 groups, a slower and faster one.

Anyone keen for breakfast after? Maybe we could hit up Wicker Basket south? Is this open on Sundays? Any other suggestions? Possibly we will need some transport after to make this happen...

Chicha78 (51 posts) • 0

Hi MiaoMiao3333,

me and Brent ran today, a nice 10km in 1hr, so Thursday morning might become the 'mid-week run' for thos who are keen. Again we are meeting at the Haigeng Park boom gate. If you can keep up you are welcome. Directions are fine as blobbles posted. We could also break up into two different groups if needed (slow/ fast). On Sunday we are thinking of running up Changchong, maybe break up into two groups of a slow hike and a trail ascent. Hope to see you there! Simon

Chicha78 (51 posts) • 0

Hi Guys, also bring food for a picnic after as we found this morning most tea bars and cafes are closed, not to mention the unseen 'Gastro-God' that haunts me here in China from time to time (cook wholesome vegetarian meals at home). We can all share something to eat then, and maybe some well deserved refreshments. I usually run ~15 - 20km on a Sunday, so maybe we can have a 10km and 20km split for those who want to run a shorter 10km (1 hour distance)?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Wooo, getting a bit intense there, picnic etc! Might find it a bit hard to bring my own food on a bike, see what I can organise :-)

I think we should hit Xi Shan instead of Chan Chong Shan this Sunday if people are up for some mountain running (more like hiking with all the steps!). That way we can still be in/around Haigeng park as previously stated. People can also just do a 10km flat run if they are keen, only the super keen will come up Xi Shan!

Maybe next weekend head up Chan Chong Shan? Then people in the North (or from the city) can meet up with us at the base of Chan Chong Shan and we can post directions and/or a place to meet. Either that or we can meet up somewhere before hand. How does that sound Simon? Either way still meet at the same place and time.

Anyone know if Chan Chang Shan is closed yet? They usually close due to the fire risk with the dry air from Dec/Jan onwards... and there is no way to avoid these guys they patrol the mountain, have lookouts on all the paths and big sticks. They REALLY don't let you go in! But they usually start halfway up, so you can get at least halfway up before they stop you.

Chicha78 (51 posts) • 0

Good point Brent. Lets meet at Haigeng Park boom gate 7.45am. Also, true its better to fix Sunday as the Haigeng Park usual meeting point for new runners. The Thursday morning can be a mid-week for the more keen runners. True lets save Chan Chang Shan for the next week or another day. Big farmers and police with iron sticks, sounds like an obstacle course worth trying. It would give a new angle on the term 'Iron Man' race.

We could do a similar loop on Sunday as per today's run but instead of heading back into Haigeng park for the final 1.5km of the 10km, the long runners group can then venture off only the dyke road and onto Xishan. Is there a trail from where we turned around today or the only way to Xishan is via the dyke road. Its a nice road but I copped a few crazy drivers ~2 weeks ago and thought I might have to go swimming instead of running as there is no bike lane or walking lane. Any thoughts? I will definately bring some water if we decide to run up Xishan after the usual 10km flat run. I will bring extra water in the care and maybe some quick low GI carb snack to fuel us up the mountain. See you this Sunday, with anyone else who wants to run up to the Longmen on Xishan! It would be nice to find a less busy road up the mountain.

Kirkpatrick (56 posts) • 0

Hey Blobbles,

I'm afraid it seems that Changchong is closed. I haven't been up this week, but a guy I run with was turned back by the fire starters last time he went.

Booo.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Damn, looks like we might have to go somewhere else next weekend if we want to change places. Cheers Kirkpatty for the info! (Oh yeah, you should come out for a run one day if ya knees are up to it!)

Chicha78 (51 posts) • 0

Yeah, good point blobbles, we will have to find an alter run, or maybe run the gauntlet with the farmers and pigs.

Stay well and see you tomorrow morning with everyone else!

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Bit of late notice - on the off chance anyone new was going to show up, we aren't running tomorrow morning - Simon's having a rest and I am sick. Next week I most likely will show up (if this pesky head cold disappears) so come along!

Related forum threads

Login to post