GoKunming Forums

Consider making your own bread, it's fun.

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

When I was looking for my long lost User's Manual for my Chinese brand bread machine, I went to Sunning or Gome, can't remember which, and they were so helpful. They gave me a photocopy of the instruction manual. Perhaps going that route might help. They're the ones who sell the machines. And I am quite sure that there are lots of customers who lose the little paddle thingie, so replacement parts are available.

I make rolls every week. They're from a recipe for a whole loaf. But I don't like the taste, texture, size and shape of baked loaves to I do it this way. I stop the process after the first rise. If you did that and baked the loaf in a loaf pan in an oven instead, you wold n't have to bother replacing the part. Or perhaps you could do the same thing I do and make rolls.

Actually very funny. I found exactly the opposite with the flours. Do you use Mantou enhancer? Maybe we could trade recipes because my rolls come out tough and flat if I use the local brand of flour. I would love to use the local flour - it's half the cost...ah...but are there additives to the local stuff?

bucko (695 posts) • 0

@English Tutour

You could bet there is a high degree of rodent bits, dander, filler, misc debris, and maybe even wheat inside.

The only thing in my bread that is from china......is water.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have just found a great book, on many torrents, The Bread Baker Bible. Lots of interesting recipes for bread machines, and cookies.

Even if you are just an armchair baker, it is a great read.

I have now stopped using the flour Labelled with 'Wheat Dietry Fibre', and moved over to the plain bread flour. I also add Xiao Mei Pei (wheat germ) to some recipes.

If you have a French bread setting on your bread machine, here is a recipe for French bread adjusted for Kunming altitude.

I usually only make the 1lb loaf, as the 1.5lb loaf gets too big. Although you could scale up the recipe for batches of rolls. The extra salt is to counter act the yeast. I tried less yeast, but it does not taste as good. The lemon juice is from Metro, I bought the small bottles and refigerate.

Water 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Salt 1 1/4 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Bread flour 2 1/4 cups
Dried yeast 1 1/3 tsp

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Our bread machine was not working well, but it got fixed properly when I accidentally dropped it on the floor and it broke in pieces.

The replacement machine has a setting for dough only, so after reading this thread I thought I might try it. I also browsed the internet first and found a good basic recipe (similar but not identical to what tigertiger posted above), as well as instructions on what to do AFTER the dough comes out of the machine and needs to go into the oven.

My first attempt was a failure! I recommend to everyone that actually getting the measurements correct can make a big difference. The machine was just 10 minutes from completion when my brain switched on and made me realize I added too much water!

On the second try I got it right and the bread turned out great after coming out of the oven. The crust was crusty (imagine that), while inside was light and fluffy. It made me think I now want to go out and buy a toaster because the texture was right.

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

I only use the dough setting because I don't like the texture of the bread when it's baked in the bread machine.

In a bread machine in general and specifically in Kunming (high altitude, the right measurements are essential.

In a bread machine it's also very important not to scoop the flour but to spoon it into the measuring cup. You'll be surprised at how much better the bread is with this slight adjustment in technique.

Here's my fool-proof, tested for Kunming, recipe for egg buns:
Makes 16 medium-large buns

4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup warm water (not boiling) warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave
6 tablespoons oil
6 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
4 1/4 cups bread flour (must be high-gluten Western bread flour – some Walmart stores in large cities sell high-gluten bread flour, I buy my Western brand at Carrefour)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 egg, beaten for glazing
3 tablespoons sesame seeds or poppy seeds for topping

1) Place all ingredients except the last 2 in the bread pan of your bread machine in the order given, and set to Dough setting. Start the machine.

2) In 5 minutes, take a plastic spatula and help the machine to blend the liquid and dry ingredients.

3) NOTE: My bread machine takes one and a half hours in the dough setting and the dough has had a first rise. But if you are not using a bread machine, follow the same procedure, kneed the dough for 10 minutes and then place in a covered bowl in a warm place to rise for one hour. Then follow the remainder of the instructions.

4) Turn off machine and turn dough onto a lightly floured cutting board. Use a large sharp knife and divide the dough into half and then in halves again until you have 16 fist-sized pieces. Each piece weighs approximately 70 grams.

5) Make each piece into a bun by taking each piece and forming it into a bun shape. You can get fancy by rolling each piece into a six-inch long rope. From the long rope, form a knot and place the end pieces on the bottom of the bun.

6) Then place each bun on a parchment-covered baking sheet with 10 centimeters between each bun. My pans fit exactly into my little oven and contain 8 in each pan. Cover loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil and place in a warm place. The foil should not touch the buns. Let rise for thirty minutes or until almost doubled.

7) NOTE: I use my oven as a warming and rising place. I set the oven temperature to 90 degrees Celsius.

8) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Brush the buns with the one beaten egg. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.

9) Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes to avoid browning.

10) Then lower the heat to 170 degrees Celsius and remove the foil. Continue to bake for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

tigertiger,

I looked at so many web pages I don't know which ones I picked. However, I put it all into a document on my computer and I've sent it to your email.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

My bread machine recipe tweaked for Kunming is as follows. I do not bake with the machine. As a matter of fact, I use this recipe sans bread machine now. I bought a mixer, and it's way better than a bread machine. Plus I can make twice as much at a time. I bake 4 loaves and freeze 3.

605g Gold Medal bread flour
313 ml water @ 110 F
15g sugar
8 g salt
75ml Wesson Canola oil
6g yeast

Throw it all in and make dough. Bread machine users, put in all liquids first, and dump dry goods on top, set for dough.

After dough is formed (6 minutes in my mixer), let dough rest 10 min and knead for 3 min. Cut and place in baking loaf pan and let rise 1 hour.
Bake at 160 C for 1 hour. Rermove immediately for pan and let cool in the oven.

Related forum threads

Login to post