GoKunming Forums

British Passport Quandry

Ben Diren (3 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can advise me about what to do.

I am a British National and my passport expires in July 2013 my Chinese student visa expires in March 2013.

How can I renew my passport whilst staying China. I understand that if I renew my passport whilst I'm here my old passport & visa will be automatically invalidated. I would therefore have a new passport but be in China illegally.

Is there a way to renew my passport before my visa expires without invalidating my visa?

Obviously I have tried to get some answers from the embassy but just end up going round in circles listening to recorded messages.

thanks

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

The visa will not be invalidated, even if the passport is cancelled. You would need to carry both passports when travelling of course.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Technically, the rule is:

1 get a new passport
2 register the new passport and get a new visa (expense)

ALTHOUGH @Chingis solution is cheaper...just stay outta trouble.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Is that the rule? I had no idea and and have done this several times including leaving and re- entering China. Of course I had a new passport, but I presented my visa in a passport with the corner cut off, and a big red "Cancelled" stamped across my face!

Are you sure this is required laotou?

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Was early this year actually when I flew into to GZ airport. Im really not so sure its not legal as I asked at the PSB before I left the country, and they were clear it was no problem. In then end the immigration people didnt look twice.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Also confirming what Chingis wrote. I got a new passport last year and carried my old one with the visa until I got a new visa in the new passport.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

If you get a new passport either overseas then you show both passports to the border control people, this is no problem as only the city where you live in China can issue your new visa.

Once you have your new passport and are back home in China then you need to apply for your new visa within 10 days.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

"Once you have your new passport and are back home in China then you need to apply for your new visa within 10 days."

I received my new passport while I was in China. I also never applied for a new visa either and had no problem. When the old visa got close to expiring I sent both passports in for processing, and was given a new visa in the new passport.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Hi Chingis, you were lucky I almost got a fine once cause I didn't apply for the new visa within ten days. It seems in Kunming they don't always enforce the 10 day rule

Related forum threads

Login to post