GoKunming Forums

Which is the best internet service?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I think for internet Telecom is still probably the best, but most of it boils down to local things like how many packed your xiaoqu is full of heavy downloaders streamers and how far your place is from the exchange.

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

So if I'm in university town, I'm guessing it's a bit farther from the exchange than in the city? But still a bit strange how from China Mobile to China Unicom there's been such a dropoff, especially given I have 50mb service. It's actually faster for me to set my phone as a hot spot and use my phone's 4g on my computer...could just be a slow day...

nnoble (889 posts) • +1

I took up the offer of 100mb fibre connection.

There is an obvious increase in speed but more importantly, my access to the Internet is now invariably reliable.

This reliability and speed hasn't be affected as increasing numbers of near neighbours have moved over to fibre.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

My service is via China Telecom.

I think it was about 400 RMB to upgrade from the previous 8mb service.

As for packages, I was told the default was that 50mb bandwidth would be allocated for TV and the remainder for Internet but if I didn't want the TV then the entire 100mb would be available for Internet access.

Since I never watch TV, here or in the UK, I opted for the Internet only package.

In my opinion, it's a good utility, the previous connection simply doesn't compare and the additional cost is worthwhile.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I think I pay 1200 per year. I can't remember exactly. It is worth it in my opinion.
I do run a TV box with HD and DTS which works nice. I also use it via VPN to get hundreds of international channels which can hesitate from time to time, but is watchable.
I run 3 LAN's and 3 Wi-Fi networks

in my home which have never had any problems.

jojio (54 posts) • 0

Best package these days? seems i was dumb and got expensive package last time..out with the old, in with the new. anybody out there have a line on current best deals for interwebs?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

Avoid China Mobile's broadband. It's the old Tietong service run by the railways and I had huge problems with it late last year. Basically it started blocking all access to foreign IPs....vpns were no help as they also need to connect.

tallamerican (396 posts) • +1

3 months ago got a great package from China Unicom. For 1260 a year includes 100mb internet, free internet tv box, and new phone sim card with something like 700 minutes a month and 4g with more internet download than i use a month.

Related forum threads

Login to post