GoKunming Forums

Places to retire around the world

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

There are numerous articles about places to retire recently. I am wondering if anyone has chosen China as a retirement location or what other country you may be interested in retiring to?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I am semi-retired in China, but when I get old and frail I will go back to Europe for better health care. Unless China catches up in the next devade or so, which they might.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

i think china use to show up on lists, but because of bad air, spotty health care, and higher cost of living in Bejing,Shanghai and Hong kong no longer shows up on those lists. Also think getting visa and staying long term is considered to be such a hassle. Right now South America seems to be the favorite especially for Americans. If i inherit my dad's health care needs i to will have to return to usa as i get older. If my dad lived in china 20 years ago he would not be with us today.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I definitely wouldn't retire in the USA. Would like to retire in China and maybe Canada or Australia or maybe New Zealand.

I saw a recent list that also had Chang Mai, low cost of living, good culture and good healthcare.
I had a heart problem here last year, and got an angioplasty OK in one artery. They could not open the other artery, the Chinese Dr. said I needed a bypass and should have that done back home. Which I did.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Chiang Mai is high on my list, but my wife considers it to be too hot for her. Also, she likes her Chinese health care, while I could get better health care in Chiang Mai.

I would NOT consider Canada as a good place to retire, which is why I left there. Cost of living has gone up so much I could not survive on my pension. Health care is good if you can get it, but the wait times are just far too long. In 2005 I waited 3 months for "emergency" surgery!

It's also too damn cold in the winter and as hot as Chiang Mai in the summer!

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Why not consider two locations a year? Enjoy a nice European/North American Spring/Summer then Thailand etc for the other 6 months.

In some European countries you need to stay 6 months a year in country to keep your healthcare active.

One option we are considering. Rent out the house and travel. Go to a place and rent cheap until you get bored or decide you have had enough, then move on. This avoids the risk of getting stuck somewhere you don't like.
Do this until you get to the stage where you really need constant access to good health care. Then go home.

Related forum threads

Login to post