GoKunming Forums

Where to buy a good Microwave

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

I noticed that most of the microwaves on the Chinese market are rather small and have terrible controls. I guess because it's a relatively new thing in China and consumers don't know what they want, so the manufacturers tend to focus on gaudy cosmetics and lots of useless buttons. I just want a normal microwave with a numeric keypad that works well. I was going to import this Panasonic from Hong Kong until I read some bad reviews about panasonic microwaves in general.

Anybody microwave experts with good recommendations?

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

You were going to import a microwave from Hong Kong, seriously? Clearly you're a man who takes his microwave cooking seriously.
I hesitate to give such an expert advice, but at a push Id say try Gome, Suning, or Taobao. I'd be stunned if you couldnt find what you wanted there.
Good luck in your quest.

I'm not really into microwave cooking, but when I buy appliances I expect to do it right the first time. Unfortunately I already tried the places you had in mind. I'm kind of hoping I can find a place that imports appliances from Australia.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

In Canada we had a Panasonic Genius IV which was a convection/microwave combo. Had no problem with it, although this is a number of years back.

I would really like to find something like it here since it's convenient to have what is essentially two appliances taking the counter space of just one.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Have you had a look at the electronic shops in the walking street near Carrefour? They seem to have a wider range of goods than other same brand shops elsewhere.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

We have a good size microwave, push buttons, grill, micro combi.

Samsung Selection Grill (bought in China), and bilingual. Not sure where, it was in the place we rent.
Don't assume ALL Chinese consumers are behind the times, that is a big mistake. The style of MW the OP described sound like the bottom end of the market.

Try looking in the bigger electrical stores in the city centre, avoid those in the residential areas where people are more concerned with price.

Have you tried METRO?

Loads on Taobao from less than 300 to more than 1600rmb.
Midea do a nice 25Ltr combo for about 1600

I've checked every single microwave on Taobao. They are all low end, ugly and overpriced for what they offer compared to what you can buy in just about any other country. (yes, I checked models and prices in a dozen other countries too). 25L is not big. I consider 32L 1000W standard (you can easily get this for $100 at WallyWorld in Canada).
What I've read about "modern" microwaves in general sounds pretty depressing. Just about all microwaves in the world are made by 2 or 3 companies in China. Doesn't matter if it's panasonic, GE or Siemens. The only thing that differs is the cosmetics and the badge. They all use the same shitty magnetrons that fail after a few years.

I guess I might as well buy a 300rmb Galanz since I'll be throwing it out soon anyway...or maybe just buy nothing at all.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

This sounds like the logic going through my head when I look at LCD TVs here. I don't want to pay what they are asking for some crappy China brand when I can get the same at home for less than half. This has left me not having a nice big screen TV for a year.

Just buy the 1600rmb Midea tigertiger mentioned. It will do the job just fine and outlast your stay in China, unless you plan on being buried with it. Midea makes reliable internals (won't vouch for the exterior), they have a factory in Kunming, so your getting a bit of a price break in Kunming for that level of brand. Not sure if that applies to their microwaves.

Trust me, I've got better things to do with my time than "vent" on goKunming. I am only concerned with solving my problem.

I probably don't want to spend 1600rmb on a Midea. That can basically buy a commercial microwave in the west (which is ideally what I'd like if I could get a halfway decent price on it).

From what I can tell nobody at present knows where to get a good imported model, so if I am able to get some good leads I will share the info.

Related forum threads

Login to post