GoKunming Forums

Studying Chinese in Kunming - Which University?

aaavr (11 posts) • 0

I'm currently studying Chinese at Beijing Language and Culture University, but I'm thinking of moving to Kunming next semester to continue studying.

It seems like there are a lot of university language programs to choose from, so I don't really know where to start. I know that I would prefer to study at a university, because then my university at home will be more likely to grant me credit towards my degree. That being said, there's no garuantee on my university doing that, so if anyone knows of a big advantage of any other program over the university ones, I'd like to hear it. Also, I do like the sound of some universities (Yunnan Normal being one I think?) offering the option of flexible one on one to one on five classes, as well as regular semester classes. (Like I guess if I wanted to I could take a one semester course, and a few extra one on one classes a week.)

My main problem with BLCU (other than the cost of living as well as tuition) is the teachers being really hit or miss, and some pretty major apathy amoungst my classmates, which really slows down the pace of the class. I find the class pretty big too - there's 20 people. So, that being said, can anyone offer advice?

If anyone has attended any of these courses in Kunming, I'd love to hear what you thought of them.
It would be great if you could answer some of these questions about where you went;
What are the teachers like?
What are the class sizes like?
What were your classmates like? Totally apathetic, or really eager to learn? Did you ever feel that your class was slowed down because of your classmates? Average age, and reason for most people being there? (I HATE the attitude of many of my classmates right now, so this, although it may seem silly, is kind of important to me.)
How much did it cost?
What was the atmosphere at the university like?
Do you have to register far in advance, or can you just show in a couple weeks before the semester starts and there will still definitely be places?
Other good things or bad things that come to mind?

Also, is learning Chinese in Kunming really that big a disadvantage? Everyone here says that it's a terrible idea because in Kunming they speak Yunnanhua(?) and that I won't be able to learn as well. In the universities they teach putonghua though, right? Oh FYI I will have studied chinese for only one semester by the time I will move to Kunming, so I am will still be at a pretty beginner level.

Any info is very welcome!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

You will be hearing basically only Kunming hua on the streets so your listening skills will suffer. They can't even speak Putong hua correctly so you're be saying to yourself: "What the hell did he just say?" Ha..ha.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I echo what has just been said.

They don't really speak putonghua here.

some other thoughts

I have not studied in Kunming, but from what I can gather from my experiences in other cities, teaching can be very hit or miss. The advantage of the Normal university is that it is a teaching university.

Find out what materials the teachers are using. Very often it is BCLU books, which I really have an issue with. The Shanghai East China Normal books are much better and relevant to everyday life, but I don't know if anyone uses these in Kmg.

Another consideration is location. Find out where the campus is. If it in in Chenggong new district (like most Chinese city new districts and only been open a year), it will be a new campus. Disadvantages could include incomplete facilities (including IT and language labs) and away from the city centre. The advantages are you will be surrounded by Chinese students who all have at least the same 5 questions to ask.
Other campuses are right in the old academic centre near Green Lake. Most of the expat bars and cafes (nowhere near as sophisticated as those in BJ) are located. You are also near the downtown area.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Then again, Kunming hua is a dialect of Mandarin Chinese and not some other Chinese that you might hear if you were to go to Shanghai. It's just a heavy accent and has its own choice of vocabulary, but most of these words exist in Mandarin Chinese.

However, with regards to teaching methods you may want to consider studying at a private institution instead of a university. Unis do cram-style teaching: "all 100 of you repeat after me at the same time".

Also they require a lot more attendance hours and often take attendance and can revoke your visa and/or scolarship if you don't show up enough.

Private schools don't normally do that, and they can support their Chinese teaching with some English.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I have only studied in Beijing, then later worked in Kunming and done my HSK here.

One thing I noticed is that the HSK and I guess the text books are written for students studying in Beijing, local place names and even expressions that aren't used much out of Beijing are common. When I did the HSK here in Kunming I was wondering how the students who never lived in Beijing would know the place names etc used in the test.

As for studying Chinese I wouldn't do any other than advanced learning in Kunming, as a beginner you really need to "live in the language" and you can't do that here. However once you have a higher level of Chinese then I think Kunming is a much nicer place to live and study.

sanguojia (27 posts) • 0

Hello Yuantongsi,
I am also currently studying at Beijing languages and culture university. I also thinking of moving to kuming next semestre. I would like to find a part time job over there and continue studying. My level is intermediate (C level), so Yuantongsi do you think i can go to Kunming to continue studying, do u think this is a good idea? another thing how can i find a part time job, do you know websites to find a job?

thank you

Related forum threads

Login to post