GoKunming Forums

cost of living in kunming

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

hi - i'm currently based in Shanghai, but i'm thinking of moving to Kunming to pursue a more laid back way of life :)

what do people think i should budget per month, all in, given that i want to be pretty comfortable?

capoeirakunming (1 post) • 0

I guess it really depends on you. Foreign food is expensive, but local food is dirt cheap..about 3RMB for fried rice. My cheapest month was 200rmb and my most expensive was about a 1000 - not including rent and bills of course.
I dont pay rent so I cant help there.
Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Mike

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

cheers, Mike - i'm well impressed by the 200 renminbi month... how is that possible? that's 3 kuai 33 fen a meal (assuming 2 meals a day and 30 days in the month)

are you sure you're not just talking up your ol' china hand credentials? :)

can anyone chip in on rent etc?

geteven (15 posts) • 0

Rent in Kunming depends largely on what part of the city you are renting in. Two of the major universities, most western cafes, and the idyllic green lake park are all located within a 10-minute stroll of each other. This is the highest rent area, although it's still much lower than most major cities in China. A room in a fairly modern two or three bedroom with a western toilet might run around 700 RMB, renting your own (furnished) place would be more like 2000-2500 RMB/month.

If you're willing to live a bit farther away, or rent an unfurnished or older apartment, you can pay less. My fully furnished 2BR is 1100/month (I split with my housemate), and it is a 20-minute walk from the housing crunch area (Wenlin Jie).

Utilities: my apartment seems to cost about 50/month for water, 100/month for phone and internet, 20/month for trash and management, 50/month for electricity, and 10/month for gas (for the stove).

Katherine (5 posts) • 0

A more laid back way of life sounds good hedgepig.

I'm also thinking of moving to Kunming. What is the best way of me of finding an aparment? Probably my own place, unfurnished but in centre of town.

piers (144 posts) • 0

200 kuai in one month. That makes Howard look extravagant! I think capoiera's g/f might be cooking all his meals for him.

Eat, drink, travel, and other stuff for less than 1500RMB per month would impress me. Kunming's cheap, not free.

geteven's figures are spot-on. Where do you get your internet? Mine costs 150 per month?

Related forum threads

Login to post