GoKunming Forums

No laowai allowed here

tommann (423 posts) • 0

It's too bad that prejudice like this can still exist in the modern world, but there is little that any laowai can do about it.

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

Fully agree with all comments. But whatever, no big deal. FYI the club is located near The Mask - if you were to exit The Mask and turn right 90 degrees you'd be looking at the entrance. It seems to be quite popular with army people. The name I believe translates as Sounds of Nature. But it's actually a bit of a grimy club - nowhere near as good as Soho, Babi or Muse.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

When I first got here I went to a club and it was full of smoke and the music was so loud. It was the last time I went to a club. The smoke is just too much for me to bear since I don't smoke.

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

The place you mention is called 天籁时代, and in the past it was auctually a place I often went to with some of my Chinese friends. Comparing it to Babi, Soho, or those kind of bars isn't really something you can do. I think it's more for the working class who don't have 300 RMB to spend on 12 beers, and for that reason has it's fair share of 老表. In the past I never had a problem getting in,(its been over a year) but I always went with Chinese people and generally communicated to the guys standing out front in order to reserve a table, and because it is rather 热闹,there is typically a wait after 11:30. From my observation, the reason for negativity towards foreigners comes from the sharks I used to see come in after 1 AM and not buy beers and hit on girls, generally trying to be all buddy buddy with me because they couldn't speak Chinese. Perhaps in the end the club figured it wasn't worth the time to let laowai in. Anyway, nothing special other than the dance floor and 100 RMB per twelve pack for the beers. The music is enough to make anyone halfway sober consider self-immolation. If your going without Chinese friends, I would be careful, 老表 are sometimes unpredictable after being drunk and can ruin a good night if you send the wrong vibes.

Related forum threads

Login to post