GoKunming Forums

Can pickups enter Kunming?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Look at hybrids.
You could go for the Escalafe 5.7Ltr Hybrid, which is surprisingly economical around town.

The other thing to consider is that a modern 2ltr turbo is as powerful as an old V8.
Modern diesel engines are great for power and torque. But there is a shortage of diesel fuel a lot of the time in China.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Thanks for the tip. I am actually most interested in diesel, since it's cheaper and more widely available than unleaded in neighboring countries but will consider some hybrid models as you have suggested. BTW are they also affected by the high tax rate you mentioned earlier? You mentioned the Escalafe 5.7ltr, which is quite a large engine, but it is a hybrid. Does this mean higher taxes or tax incentives by the Chinese government?

Hybrids may get a tax break, but I really don't know. I mentioned it as it is worth investigating. I even saw a Chinese branded hybrid taxi the other day.

If you have ever driven on the highway in China and seen a line of trucks over a kilometre long on the side of the road, there is probably a gas station at the end of the line, waiting for a diesel delivery. I have seen this many times. And this will be repeated along the road. I have seen this several times in the past. That is why I did not buy a diesel engined vehicle.
You only need to get caught once.

@tigertiger, I too have noticed all the trucks outside gas stations, but mainly on expressways rather than in the cities or rural highways. Even though I have previously only driven cars running on unleaded fuel within China, all the gas stations I have been to in the cities appeared to have diesel available as well.

It seems the Ford Explorer is not available in China, only another SUV with FWD transmission or AWD for the most expensive variant. It's called the Ford Echo - it looks good but doesn't offer 4WD transmission, which is what I need.

Any other recommendations for good quality SUVs available in China?

A lot of imported, from Thailand etc. SUV for sale in Kunming, including the 4tuner. But these are expensive - 700k+
The Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun is also made in China as part of a JV and these used to start at about 400 000 rmb for the 4wd.

There is also the Toyota FJ Cruiser is also available, and the basic model comes sans carpet etc for hosing out when mucky. Not sure on the price.

I would avoid some Chinese brands due to reliability. Greatwall are getting good now but I am not sure about the spares distribution outside China, should you break down.

Q. Do you need a full blown 4x4, or will a 4wd soft roader work for you. There are lots of these. The Chevrolet Captiva is 7 seater and I paid 300k about 18 months ago. They are only available in 2.4ltr petrol now.

Thanks for that info. Didn't know that the Fortuner was available in Kunming, as I haven't seen any. The only Fortuners I've seen at all in China were in Jinghong and Lao registered. I would however be interested in purchasing one if available (even at those prices, but I will need to confirm with my company first).

I don't want a Chinese brand, only foreign brands will be considered. I believe Great Wall had a major recall of most of its vehicles in Australia recently so I wouldn't even want to trust them at this stage.

A proper 4x4 would be best, but a soft roader like the Captiva would work, only thing is I don't think they have a 4wd, only an AWD version in China, which is probably what the definition of a soft roader is.

You are right the Captiva is an AWD. The Nissan Xtrail is also an AWD but has the CV drive, and looking at Xtrail events on YouTube they are quite capable in rough terrain.

The fortuners and others are grey imports. There is a large car market up near the Garden Expo in the North. One of the sales halls is imports.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at that car market once I'm back in Kunming. What should I look for once I get there to recognize the market? Is it open daily?

Related forum threads

Login to post