GoKunming Forums

Quijing - Shenzhen

Bakas (1 post) • 0

Hi all!

Just got signed into this site as Im planning a trip over Kunming side next week. Im a photographer and stay in Shanghai. It was more than a year since I wanted to travel Yunnan and its now or never, so my plan is as follows: Get on train to Kunming, get off one stop before in Qujing, get a second hand motorbike + some basic tools and head over to Shenzhen. My budget for a bike is 2-3K rmb. I have to be in Hong Kong 21 on November for visa extension so it gives me almost 3 weeks on the road to cover about 2000km. I will avoid big roads as much as I can, more interesting for me to see small towns and photograph local people. Now call me crazy if you will, but I havent got chinesse driving licence as with the visa that I have its just too difficult to get and time is tight. I have plenty of riding experience as I used to take part in enduro motocross competitions.
I would love to hear some advice from people that have experience traveling by motorbike, whats the police like if they catch you without license and how to deal with it, is it difficult to get fuel, any advice where is the best place of getting a bike ect. Any related experience is much appreciated!

Big THANKS!
Bakas

frharlee (2 posts) • 0

I don't have a license either, but this type of travel is doable. I road from Dali to Shaxi, then Shaxi to Jian chuan, from there to Lijiang old town, and then took a long road trip from Lijiang back to Dali. It was quite an experience, and I was lucky enough to not get pulled over. There are a lot of old back roads that are available for this type of travel, but you have to be aware that some of the road signs have not been updated or just don't exist. So, you can expect to make a few detours. It's always nice to stay in some small towns, it especially works out when you can speak efficient mandarin or if you listening skills are very attentive because you could find free places to crash, and really get to meet the locals.

Some small towns are just ridiculous when it comes to hotel prices. You will get some that are as expensive as places as SH (worth it), and it's nothing you can do about it because it's the only one in town or they are all the same price.

Good luck on avoiding officers. If you find that you are 7 days close to the end of the month or between the first 7 days of a month, you should be very cautious. It doesn't matter if your driving reckless or have the best drivers award of the year. The cops in China choose a day and they will stop everyone to check for ID. They also love it when your breaking the law.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Good info frhalee..

"Good luck on avoiding officers. If you find that you are 7 days close to the end of the month or between the first 7 days of a month, you should be very cautious. It doesn't matter if your driving reckless or have the best drivers award of the year".

It's the same in quebec canadawhen police need to reach their quota ( which they say doesnt exist)

Related forum threads

Login to post