GoKunming Forums

Info about living in Dali?

EveAnnemarie (9 posts) • 0

Hi there!

I'm coming to Dali in February and can find very little information online in terms of employment or housing. I have a Masters in Counseling and would love to work with a non-profit/NGO, but I figured I could teach English as a backup plan...I can't find a single job online!

Also, I know there are a lot of hostels/guest houses, but we're looking for something long term, ideally a house or 2-3 bedroom apartment. I know we can probably figure things out when we get there, but anything we can nail down ahead of time would be helpful. If you have any leads, or know someone else who might, I could use some contacts who know the area. Thank you!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

There are many houses for rent just south of the south gate of Dali Old town that are relative inexpensive. A friend of mine rented a 2 bedroom for 1500 RMb just 2 months ago.

Work ($) for an NGO or volunteer (Free) ?

That sounds very reasonable. If you could send me a message with contact information for your friend, I would really appreciate it.

A paid position would be nice, but I know it would be unlikely. In a perfect world, I'd rather volunteer doing something I care about than make money doing something I don't, but either my husband or I will have to get some paying work or we won't be staying in Dali very long:) I figured I'd probably end up teaching English and finding somewhere to volunteer on the side, but I'm not even finding any teaching jobs.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Dali is relatively small and there are many foreigners there already so it will take time to find work. You also need to learn more about Xia Guan which is separate from Dali Old Town. This is where the airport, bus stations and train station are located.

www.hugoyunnantravel.com/des_dali.asp

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

Dali is a great place to live, but a terrible place to find work. Clearly it's not impossible to make money there, but it's going to be challenging as it is a small town with too many foreigners. Every foreigner who comes to Dali has the same plan as you.

I bought a flat there in 2008, but realistically I can probably only afford to live in Dali for a few months out of the year. Since 2008 I've been plotting various ways to make a full time return, but realistically I wouldn't do it without a lot of money to start a business or a decent job offer already on the table.

I know I'd need a work visa, which is why I'm trying to find something before I leave. I thought I had a job with a non-profit in Dali but it fell through and it's hard for me to give up the idea of living there even though there doesn't seem to be much else available.

I haven't been able to find anything in Xiaguan either, which surprised me since I understand it's quite a bit larger than the old town.

I imagine starting a guest house or cafe would involve a lot more legal loopholes than I want to jump through since I don't plan on settling there permanently.

I may end up just teaching some online undergraduate classes for institutions based in the US and bypass the work visa issue but we still have to figure out the housing situation. I'd be fine with backpacking or finding a hostel until we figured things out, but I don't think my kids would:)

keano (1 post) • 0

what said by Anonymous Coward is true, that too many foreigners are looking for jobs in dali. but i think the best chance for u is still to be teacher at english teaching school/tuition center. probably in xiaguan, which is not far from the old town.

getting a job with NGOs is possible but not always feasible. NGOs in china are mostly small organisation, they cant pay high salary (even to the locals), they maybe love to have capable staff but i m afraid they may not be able to apply a working permit for foreigners. u can be a volunteer nevertheless.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@eveannemarie

some thoughts I have had.

Think about why you want to go to Dali.

Is it lifestyle?
There are other small cities like Dali in Yunnan, that would give you the lifestyle, that are not over visited by foreigners. They also have schools that could employ you.
The only difference would be no expat bars and restaurants selling hamburgers and 'western breakfast' (not at all like the real thing).

If you really need to get to Dali, try living in Kunming or another city for a bit first. This will put you in a better position to find out about and apply for jobs in Dali.

Most public schools and universities recruit in April for October, but there is always some turnover in February after semester one.

There are others advertising now, and some places you can walk in and get a job, I have. I wouldn't bother answering ads put up by agents though.

You could do a scouting trip, I believe you can still get a 90 day 'L' visa (tourists and family). If you get a job here that offers a visa you will need to leave China to turn it to a 'Z' visa for work, but you can do this in Hong Kong (just over an hour flight from Kunming) which needs an overnight in a hotel.
I am not sure how you get a 1 year visa for the kids though.

Just some thoughts.

Related forum threads

Login to post