GoKunming Forums

Linux Ubuntu help please!!

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

Hi!
I'm having some pretty serious issues with my current version of Ubuntu after my last automatic upgrade. Does anyone know anything about Linux? I need help urgently! I can't find my wireless connections and I can't play my music!
Thanks
Kasey

ShiFang (9 posts) • 0

Hey,

I bought a Thinkpad with Ubuntu a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't consider myself an expert. But have you tried

askubuntu.com/

from another computer? They seem to respond quickly and you don't need to register to ask questions.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

What exactly did you upgrade? If the kernel was upgraded did you try booting with the old kernel?

You can also download the live cd from Ubuntu, and see if everything works with that.

I'm by no means an expert, but I have fooled around with Ubuntu. Currently I'm running Fedora 17 though. Without more details I don't know what to tell you.

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

I did try askubuntu.com, still awaiting response. I really would like someone to look at it though, since I am basically the opposite of a computer expert, and I don't think I could understand many solutions they may offer.

For example, I don't know what a "kernel" is outside of the context of corn, and I don't know what a live cd is or how I would go about downloading it from Ubuntu.

How can I learn what version I have now and which I upgraded? Since the upgrades are automatic I don't know. How can I figure that out?

Thanks!

slashello (3 posts) • 0

If you want to know which version are you running:

copy this command: lsb_release -a

open terminal (Ctrl + T)
paste the command you copy before (right click with mouse and paste)

and will appear which version are you running.

refer on this
ubuntuforums.org/
if you want a quick and full response.

Sorry but with no further information i can help you a lot!!!

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

You could also try updating again; maybe someone else had the same problem and they fixed it already...maybe :P.

There's an update program in the menu. If you can't find it open the terminal (control + T ). Then type in the following:

sudo apt-get update

This will check for any updates, and then type the following to install them.

sudo apt-get upgrade

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

@slashello: looks like I'm now running Ubuntu 11.04, codename Natty.

@ouyang: I typed this and it gave me a bunch of error messages about incomplete updates and told me to type something so i did and HOLY CRAP MY INTERNET AND MUSIC IS BACK!!!

HALLELUJAH!
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!
WHOOOO!!!!!

slashello (3 posts) • 0

Good for you!!

the actual version is the 12.04LTS (long term support) Precise Pignolin.

If you want you can update to that, it works better!! ;-)

Related forum threads

Login to post