GoKunming Forums

Handyman

Asafrpei (19 posts) • 0

I was wondering if anybody knows about a person who can come to fix some house stuff, such as installing a fan, fixing windows, installing the thing where I hang towels and so on.

atomic (156 posts) • 0

If your not to fussed about quality. Try asking the guy that sells bits and pieces in the many small hardware shops about the place. If he can't do the work, he'll know someone who can.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Asafrpei, If you live in a large high rise like many westerners you can ask the building staff in the office to do the work or refer someone. No guarantees on quality or promptness but the prices are usually fair.

It will most always take several visits to fix it. One to look at the problem and to check out how the foreigner lives. One to come back with the wrong parts or tools and at least one more time to try to fix it.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Long-Dragon
You're so dead on. The work that most of these repair people do is less than stellar. I often see one worker working with the other 2 or 3 workers just watching the first worker work. So sad the work ethics here.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

We had our building staff install a new kitchen faucet. The guy didn't have a clue about what he was doing and had a poor selection of tools. If I had my tools from Canada it would have been a five minute job. It took this guy over an hour!

everyday (11 posts) • 0

My friend introduce me this guy, he helped me fix my door and wall, he did really good work, you can text him 130 9534 7996.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

We need a place (listing) to find tried and true tested handymen/women. They could make a killing once they are proven.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

I have found one of the best most useful repair "tools" here is superglue. You have to be careful using it or you can stick your fingers to most anything. It is cheap and easy to find. The next "tool" is a needle and thread in multiple colors. B&Q really is OK for most general parts and tools, especially if you can take part X and use it as part Y. Often the small local parts place has quite a good selection, if they know what you want. Most Chinese repair guys work with very few tools as they are generally low paid and tools can be expensive at their level of income.

Related forum threads

Login to post