GoKunming Forums

soy sauce and other condiments without msg

ShiFang (9 posts) • 0

Does anybody know where to get soy sauce and other condiments without msg or other chemicals? I looked at all the brands they sell at Walmart and Carrefour, but they all contain at least msg...

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

You will need to go to the wet markets and buy it in bulk. You will need to take a local with you to ask the right questions, and even then you may not get an honest/straight answer.
Bear in mind that soy sauce is loaded with sodium chloride anyway.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

MSG is not dangerous and unhealthy as people make it out to be. It is a very good seasoning that brings out the flavor in foods. Just saying.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Russell L. Blaylock, a neuro-surgeon, and author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills" would disagree with you, tommann. He claims MSG is an excitotoxin and "there is growing evidence that excitotoxins play a major role in a whole group of degenerative brain diseases."

tiiuke (4 posts) • 0

you could try to find it from sino-agriculture which is a vegetarian restaurant with a small organic shop attached to it, i cant remember at the moment but im pretty sure they did have soy sauce too. its on wuyi road and on the building theres a big green sign that says sino-agriculture.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

I don't know if I am allergic to MSG or if I am just really sensitive to it, but I find that if my dinner contains MSG I have really terrible sleep. My mind just can't stop thinking. I ate food containing MSG for most of my life, and it wasn't until I cut it out of my diet that I realised the terrible effects it was having on my rest. I sleep like a rock now that it's out of my body. Recently my wife's mother was using soy sauce full of MSG, and I noticed the effects on my sleep right away. I switched her soy sauce for "Lee Kum Kee" and now I'm good again.
I can't say for sure if Lee Kum Kee does not contain any MSG, but it certainly contains a lot less than many of the other bands I've used in China. I believe it is a Hong Kong brand, and is known in the mainland for its quality. I recommend the "Premium" line.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Magnifico, while I respect Dr. Blaylock's professional view on MSG, I can say that the bulk of the international culinary community believes that MSG is not as harmful as people say.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

MSG is a natural product. The consensus is that it is not harmful. FDA rated GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

I am sure the resident conspiracy theorists will have a different opinion, based on years of surfing the internet.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Amazed at how people believe anything without any scientific proof. Yes, people who are aware and care about their health will notice the effects ONLY when they have purged their body of the substance in question. When I learned the terrible effects of MSG I stopped using it as much as I could. Now that I am MSG free, I can quickly feel the effects it has on me when I do ingest it (restaurants). Can't sleep when I always sleep soundly, dry mouth and terrible thirst no matter how much I drink.

MSG is NOT natural because it is a manmade substance. Salt is natural because it is found naturally in nature. MSG has been produced by direct chemical synthesis with acrylonitrile between 1962 and 1973. Now it is produced through bacterial fermentation.

Another lie is that MSG is natural because it is an amino acid (glutamate). What they misleading do NOT say is that it is a Non essential amino acid as opposed to an essential amino acid which is needed and received through preper diet and that glutamate and mono sodium glutamate are 2 totally different compounds.

So what happens when a person receives an excess of this wonderful non essential amino acid? For the uninformed, glutamate is a neurotransmitter that helps learning and memory. However, an excess of this wonderful glutamate kills the receptor sites and the result is the complete opposite of learning and memory - the effects are called - Alzheimer's disease, seizures, diabetes, destruction of pancreas, Stiff man syndrome, and ALS better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. People with LAS have an excess of glutamate in their spine. All this is caused by excitotoxicity - which means toxicity caused by the over excitment of neurotransmitters.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Why would anyone believe anything the FDA has to say? Aside from the revolving door between the FDA and Monsanto how many lies about safety have they told the public over the years only to come back and say sorry we were wrong.

Related forum threads

Login to post