GoKunming Forums

Retiring in Kunming or Lijiang

asiafrenz (10 posts) • 0

Hi,

I am seriously considering a retirement in Kunming or Lijiang where the weather is always cool and nice (from what i read), the air fresher, the pace slower, etc.

Could anyone who has done that (retired in Kunming or Lijiang) provide some advice? For a start I would like to know the following:

1) Is it possible for a foreigner to retire in Kunming or Lijiang? meaning getting the relevant long term visa to stay in china legally?

2) Is it possible to rent or buy a house or apartment to retire in?

3) My idea of retirement in China is not doing nothing, but living at a slower pace, doing what i wanted to do? For example, if i am good in cooking, would it be possible to run a small cafe in Kunming or Lijiang and make enough money to sustain living there. I'm not trying to get rich here but just doing something I like and keep myself active. I dont imagine myself absolutely not doing anything as retirement.

4) How much money will I need to buy or rent a house, and also to start a small cafe in Kunming or Lijiang?

5) Not sure what else i need to consider as this is an initial idea.

Thanks for any kind advice.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

First some advice.

* Kunming is quickly dropping in air quality standard and the weather is not always nice (often cold for lack of indoor heating). I wouldn't come live here if your health were bad.

* If you have any eye problem, be advised that Kunming is at an altitude of 1900m which may make your eyes deteriorate more quickly

* It is still China. Not exactly a comfortable place to live, but nevertheless interesting. I don't know whether you've been to China or not.

1) No, not really. You can however start studying and get a student visa, start a business and get a business visa or marry a local and get a residence permit.

2) Yes

3) Yes, some people have successfully done this before you, but bear in mind that it is getting increasingly competitive and your customer base may also expect you to do a bit more

4) I don't know about buying, but 10000 RMB (1250 EUR) a year will get you a flat for one person/a couple somewhere not too central.

5) Any place in China is changing very quickly at the moment. Can you deal with that?

Lijiang will typically have better air, lower prices (outside the old town of course), but also colder winters and even higher altitude. If you are at a retirement age, and haven't lived all your life at 2600m+, the sparsity of the air may get you in trouble.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

Living in China is interesting, but it could be hazardous to your health. I'm only 30, and I constantly worry about my health because you just can't trust anything (food, air, water, public safety). I am living in a 3rd tier city, and I am scared to go to the local hospitals for treatment of serious injuries or complications. If you get sick in China, be prepared to travel to big cities to seek decent healthcare.

I pretty much agree with what the other posters say. You should at least come here and stick around for a while before deciding to stay for good. You need to know exactly what you are getting into. What it comes down to is that China is very much a developing country, and you life here won't be easy if you can't adapt to the way things are done in China.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

If you haven't lived in Kunming or Lijiang, it would be foolish to plan to retire to a place without knowing it. Weather is not a good criteria. I too am always worrying about the food since there is so much counterfeit products in China especially. Healthcare is another thing to worry about here too. You didn't state your age but if you have a chronic illness, you might think twice about retiring here. First come and stay for a little while and see if you like it but don't uproot everything you have now. BTW, it DOES get cold in both places.

asiafrenz (10 posts) • 0

Thanks to all for the advice.

I have never been to Kunming or Lijiang. My understanding of these 2 places was based on what i read online or heard from some people I met, so i fully ageed that i would have to visit both places and stay for a while to experience for myself if this is what i am comfortable with. Frankly speaking, the main consideration initially was really just weather mainly as I had the impression that Kunming and Lijiang are really "Spring all year round" and i generally prefer cool weather than hot weather. So looks like weather aside, there are many other criterias which do not point to a condusive retirement environment in China. I will continue to read more about Kunming and Lijiang and also make a trip there to experience it first hand myself. Nonetheless, such a trip is going to be short as I am still actively employed, so this is not likely to provide a full picture of what it is really like, thus if there is anyone else who is already staying long term or had experienced it all in both places, your comment will still be much appreciated. Thanks once again

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have lived and worked in several countries, and have lived in China for the longest of all as an expat.

I have to say that China has been the hardest to adjust too. Modern culture here is tough. This website is moderated well, but on other expat in China sites you will see a lot of negative and angry postings. Some people adapt well to China, but they may well be the small minority.

Consider other countries like Northern Thailand for cool weather, seasons, and a gentler culture.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@ASIAFRENZ You REALLY have to be here. Seeing beautiful pictures and scenery is one thing but once you're here you will either say: "What the hell did I get myself into" or you will say: " I can handle this". The culture differences might turn you off or on. I met my wife here and for me, I will go where she is. Whatever things I have to 'adjust' to for us to be together I will have to do. I think it will make a difference what you will decide depending on whether you are single or married. If you're single, you might find the love of your life here in China. You never know. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

If your main criteria for choosing these places is climate and if you're not married to a Chinese person, there are plenty of places around the world that have pleasant climate and that might be better options for various other reasons.

Take a look at this list of top 25 countries to retire in and check out the criteria they use. Climate is just one factor.

internationalliving.com/2010/08/retirement-index-2010/

Also, if you browse the above link, you'll note that China is nowhere to be found on the list. In fact, I doubt you'll find China making too many of these types of lists.

I suggest you do more research.

Related forum threads

Login to post