GoKunming Forums

101 Good Reasons to live in China

yoniga13 (1 post) • 0

48. Political freedom and freedom of speech.
49. Cleanest toilets in the world.
50. Nice polite people who don't spit everywhere.
51. No nose picking in public.
52. Good drivers who obey road regulations.

Wait, wait, are we talking about China here? Then all my points are moot.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

48. Walkable neighborhoods. (Most) everything you need is within walking distance of anywhere you are in the city. No need to own a car. Your own two feet or a bicycle are plenty to get you around.

49. Urban density. Depending on your ascetics and comfort level, this might be a bad thing, but in my view its a good thing and something some countries are seriously lacking. Its good both from an environmental perspective (more people concentrated on less land means more efficient use of resources, strongly connected to my walkability point in 48. as well as to the feasibility of urban mass transit), and from a cultural perspective (more people on the streets means better people watching, more opportunities for the chance encounters that fill life's voids)

50. Street vendors. Tofu? Baked sweet potatoes. Peeled water chestnuts? Sliced watermelon? They've got it all

bosnianXCII (36 posts) • 0

56. Baijiu

57. Cheap tasty cigarettes

58. Utter disregard for copyrights and intellectual property. Down with the MPAA!

59. Women who don't shave their legs, because they don't have to

debaser (647 posts) • 0

61. (comparatively) high levels of disposable income.
62. (comparatively) higher standard of living.

63. the government/authorities aren't trying to mess with your life all day and every day.
64. life is simpler overall!
65. you get paid for the work you do (as a Foreign Expert at least).

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

standard of living is higher? really?

less stuff going on culturally, fewer sporting events to go to, less green space and parks, more traffic, 2 decent western restaurants in the entire city all concentrated on a "foreign monkey" street, more drab gray architecture and dirtiness, lower quality medical system and education system if you have kids, overcrowded cities with nary a space to get some peace of mind, etc. etc. etc...

higher standard of living my butt.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@magnifico - thanks for your opinion but each and every point on this list so far could be argued against. that's not the point of this thread is it? there is no 'one size fits all' measure or standard. it's what you make of it.

many of the things that matter to me are here like being surrounded by countryside and mountains and a good variety of eating options (i live in the north and very rarely got to Wenlin jiie/Wenhua Xiang). medical care is less developed but has proven pretty accessible and efficient (for me at least) while the UK's NHS takes forever and makes enough mistakes. i don't have kids so education isn't a consideration for me. other cities in china and the world are more overcrowded, dirtier and generally busier.

actually I could add...
67. being surrounded by countryside and mountains.
68. a good variety of eating options.
69. medical care is pretty accessible and efficient (for me at least).
70. room to think and/or clear my head is always available... just a short ride out of the city.

31 to go!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

This thread is about the GOOD things in China. If you want to complain or you feel China is NOT good then feel free to make your own post about the negative things in China.

However, this post is for Positive and Good things in China only.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Ok, I will make a positive contribution.
71. Lots of wonderful, friendly people in China.

Related forum threads

Login to post