GoKunming Forums

Visa advice needed! Just married a local!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Sounds like the Voting laws of Old where you had to prove ownership of property to vote. Now you must prove ownership so you can return to your country of origin with your wife.

I guess only USA marriage contracts are legitimate. All others are NOT. The world according to USA - wonderful!

Very soon, everyone in the entire planet will have to get married through the United Nations so that all marriages can be valid. I love Control.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

I aren't sure why our western countries appear to treat us (when we are overseas) as guilty until proven innocent regarding immigration law. The level of proof required regarding whether you are in genuine long term relationships with someone is pretty ridiculous - as my soon to be wife said "Do they want to know how many times we have sex too??" after we looked at the requirements for a visa for her to go to New Zealand.

For me to come to China I just needed to pay a fee. For a Chinese person to go the other way... jesus.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@cuihulongjing, from my close friends experience if you do not plan to reside in usa then visitor visa for your wife is best option. My best friends had to go 3 times before she was allowed to visit usa. She has now been to USA 2 times for as long as 6 months. 3rd time they did as Tonyad suggested. They got affadavits showing she owned a business, owned 2 homes, and had family dependent on her. They put this into a booklet which convinced the Embassy official that she had to much to lose not to return to China. What ever you decide to do under all circumstances be honest and open, for the interview coach your wife to answer all the questions honestly to the best of her ability. If the interviewer does not think she is being honest you have no chance of getting a visa. I also think the longer you have been married the better the chance for getting a visitor visa.

cuihulongjing (46 posts) • 0

Thanks for the advice @TallAmerican...

We have only been married a few months, but together for 7 years. The tourist visa might be tricky. She has a Yuxi hukou and no real estate in her name. Her family is not dependent on her. We do have a business here together now for 7 years and she and I need to be here most of the time. My understanding is they don't even consider her relationship to me (her husband) when reviewing a visitor's visa application.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@cuihulongjing, It is very frustrating that we are not able to take our spouses to the USA to see our families and to better understand the culture we grew up in. Assumption is that everyone wants to live in usa and we need to prove to embassy officials that your wife has too much to lose by staying in usa. I would focus on your history of years together and focus on your business. If you could prove your business is very successful and you would lose much by leaving it for long term you might have a chance. It seems like it is a crap shoot and makes a lot of difference who the interviewer is and whether they believe and think your wife is sincere in the interview. As i said i had friends who got her visa on the 3rd attempt after 2 years. Another friend did not have nearly as compelling reasons for returning and got visa on first try.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

Your first mistake is doing anything that involves the Chendu consulate. Go to Guanzhou for the green card.
I am currently in the process of getting a green card for my wife. I am also getting a green card for myself in China. We have been married for 7 years here, and own properties. I'm told that we should not have a problem getting all this done.
BTW, she has been to the US on a tourist visa 3 times now, and her visa was not a problem. Now we only mail her passport to the consolate and they stick her visa in it ans send it back.
The system sucks, and yes, it's a money making scam. Still there is hope.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

I didn't think you had a choice of consulate. I thought it was your Hukou city that determined which consulate you must go to.

Related forum threads

Login to post