GoKunming Forums

Yogurt

gingersinsamac (37 posts) • 0

Is the yogurt here safe to eat (stuff purchased at Carrefour)? I recently heard top brands are made of scrap ingredients too foul for the glue factory. I've been eating Mon Milk (fermented milk) and felt pretty good about it until lately. I'm also interested in yogurt starter, if anyone has ome..

YerethYereth (110 posts) • 0

I'd personally recommend Salvador's organic yoghurt or As You Like's homemade yoghurt. Not sure about other places doing the same. I would not trust any yoghurt bought in shops / supermarkets to be kosher, to have active cultures or to be real. If anyone knows of brands that are, I'd be happy to know about them.

Salvador's:
www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/sal_1/salvadors_coffee_house

As You Like:
www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/asy_32512/as_you_like

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Carrefour also stocks imported yoghurt, but usually only one brand from Germany. Buy that one. Otherwise, try Paul's shop or Metro.

xiashengli (46 posts) • 0

as yunnanese i prefer local brand yogurts than those so called top brands cause till now there is no bad news on them.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

I have a same question as topic started . Looking for a Chinese version of non sweetened or with any additives natural yogurt. I'm not fussy about organic, just can't find "normal" ? yogurt without sugar or whatever they put in. My wife ( local ) has no idea what I'm talking about, so asking here. Cheers;-)

herenow (357 posts) • 0

@Alexez: Good luck on this. I have even gone to specialized dairy shops where the fridges are packed with shelves upon shelves of different yogurts, and when I asked if they they had an unsweetened variety, they reacted like I was asking for platypus eggs.

This is probably not unrelated to the ubiquity of baked good that are sold as "bread" when they are actually some kind of cake or pastry.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I make my own plain yogurt

because it cannot be bought. Lots of yogurt makers on Taobao. Also a variety of packets of starter bacteria cultures.
I cannot remember which cultures we bought last time, but if we bought two boxes they sent a free yogurt maker machine.

Some cultures suggest using the milk from cold (no need to pre-heat), but I always pre- heat.
If you are going to buy a yogurt maker, I can recommend the Bear 1 Liter models. No messing around with those silly pots, and I find one liter will keep for more than three weeks in the fridge.
I use UHT milk and have no problems. Full milk give a better product, skimmed milk yogurt is runny. In the factory yogurts back home the skimmed variety is, I believe, set with rennet.

It really only takes about 15 mins to start a batch, then you can walk away for 6-8 hours. Then just turn off the machine and put the container of fresh yogurt in the fridge. Easy peasy.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -1

I amazed myself by doing the same thing as Tiger. I never thought I could but I did. It really is as easy as that. If I can do it anyone can.

Related forum threads

Login to post