GoKunming Forums

Living in Kunming with small children

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Hi,

I am planning a move to Kunming next year with two small children (will be ages 4.5 and 1 years old around the time of the move). I've found a few preschool recs on this forum as well as some good advice about getting expat kids into schools...

But I still have more questions so I hope you don't mind that I'm posting again...

Is there anyone (expat or native) currently living in Kunming with small children that I could email offline with questions, or who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences?

Some of my questions are:

I'm wondering about whether preschools have waiting lists?

When I get a Z visa for teaching, I understand that the entire family is covered by the visa, but does that mean all family members must undergo the health exam?

Is the Green Lake area the best neighborhood to start out in (I'm asking in terms of commute time both to preschool and to work)?

Any other advice would be great.

On a separate note, I've been told that March is the best time to look for English teaching jobs. How long does it usually take to be hired (assuming I would be hired)? Or perhaps it varies from school to school. I'm asking because I want to get a sense of how much time I would have to wrap things up where I'm currently living in order to move.

Thanks for reading!

Nancy

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@nancy
Assuming your school gives you a foreign expert's certificate - they should also help you place your kids in a local pre-school (should). Pre-schools in Kunming are heavily impacted, so it'll take a bit of arm bending and maybe a cash "gift" if all else fails. Also - the schools here are utterly retarded compared to major Tier 1 cities. You'll be lucky if they teach your kid how to read and write their own name - the schools are more like glorified unskilled day care centers (my personal experience).

1. Your child/children MUST be potty trained. NO DIAPERS.
2. Ask (thru your translator) if the school teaches the kids normal things such as brushing teach, washing face and hands.
3. Besides finger-painting day and clay modeling day - see if they teach anything such as read/write chinese characters, pinyin, memorizing poems and songs (usually Tang dynasty era). This is the standard for Beijing pre-schools. It'll give your kid a boost if you stay to put them into primary school.
4. You'll need basic health insurance for each child - it runs around CNY 50 a year (or was that per semester - can't remember). A trip to any major insurance carrier should be sufficient - your school MAY provide insurance (rarely) for your dependents - but usually you'll have to pay yourself.
5. Some schools offer boarding - this is convenient if you're late, or want an evening alone etc.

6. TRY to get your children into the Kunming city pre-schools - they're somewhat accredited and MAY offer a pathway to regular Kunming city primary schools (Grades 1-6).

Health insurance check - it varies from province to province depending on the weather - check with your school - but usually children (toddlers and infants) are exempt - they're checking for communicable diseases.

WARNING
Just in case - AVOID immunizations if possible until your kids are 2 years old. This may be problematic if you send your children to pre-school as they REQUIRE an immunization history and up-to-date shots - it's kind of a scam - regardless of country. If you must - make sure the nurse properly shakes or doesn't shake the meds, depending on which med. ALthough unproven (thanks to some serious lobbying by big pharma - SOME immunization shots for toddlers and infants contain heavy metals (aka mercury etc) and some meds are for adults, but they lazily and negligently use them on infants and toddlers OR don't mix the meds properly so your child may receive a serious overdose of heavy metals - causing downe's syndrome type symptoms which take years (and lots of cash) to recover from. It MAY be an urban legend - but why risk it.

GREEN LAKE
I'd probably recommend the beichen (NE) area of KM instead - more expats and expat friendly stores (metro, wicker basket, etc) not to mention what I think is an evangelistic church (never been) if you're into that kind of thing. Green Lake is nice - but severely overcrowded during morning and evening rush hour - which means atrocious air quality and traffic - which means no taxis.

TAXIS
Beware kunming taxis - generally they're pretty good - but roughly 20% (or more) are petty thieves - they'll try to take you the long scenic route to make a few extra ¥ - some drivers can actually double the fare if you're not paying attention. ALWAYS get a receipt. If you KNOW you've been cheated - call the complaint line - the driver will have to come back and refund the fare - usually in full. Also handy if you lose your wallet, phone, umbrella, children, etc.

You are welcome to contact me via PM (Private Mail - see the link at the top of this page after you logon to the site - click your name and then stumble around till you find the PM link).

JOBS
Schools are hiring almost all the time - some english teachers can be rather unreliable - so you'd be a pearl (kids usually means stable aside from the sometimes frequent family emergencies).

Good luck - hope your personal and family experience is idyllic.

EveAnnemarie (9 posts) • 0

Nancy-was wondering if you've already moved to Kunming? I just arrived with 3 kids who are 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 5 months. I was also under the impression there were a lot of families in Green Lake so we're staying there for the first month but I'd love to know what you've found out. We're going to visit a bilingual Montessori preschool this week, I'll pass on some info if you'd like it.

Laptou-any idea if there's a way around the vaccinations? I didn't even think about it since you can get a "religious" exemption in the states. We have a family history of bad reactions to vaccinations so none of my kids has had theirs and I'd like to keep it that way.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

EveAnnemarie, what did you find about the Montessori school? I found mention of one called Agapao online, but it wasn't the school website and didn't have info. Apparently Agapao was founded by a religious group, which doesn't thrill me, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they evangelize. If we go back to Kunming (we were around in 2010), our daughter will be about 2.5.

EveAnnemarie (9 posts) • 0

I think it is the same one. It's hard to say since a lot of programs are run by religious groups, but if proselytizing is prohibited I don't think they'd push their agenda on people who are uninterested. What I liked about it was that it seemed to be a legitimate Montessori, run by an experienced Montessori teacher from the states, not the traditional Chinese rote memorization and testing approach masquerading as a Montessori in order to get international students. They take students from ages 2-6. They don't have a website but if you end up coming back and want some information, send me a message.

mountain trails (6 posts) • 0

I know this thread is old but just a brief note to say we are living in Kunming with an 8 month old and are happy to help with related child questions if we can. No direct experience of the schools though.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

Thanks! Our daughter will be turning 3 while we're there though, so I'm not sure how comparable the info will be. I am currently home full-time with her, but I taught English the last time we were there and would like to do so again now that she's older.

Related forum threads

Login to post