GoKunming Forums

International School in Kunming

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@Ocean: ""I know for a fact that some mainland Chinese (with no foreign passport) attend KIA"

Are you sure about that? I met the headmaster about 3 years ago, and he said KIA is exclusively for foreign passport holders.

He also mentioned that right in the neighbour of KIA is another high end school which caters for Chinese students, and while they share the same sporting grounds and possibly other facilities with KIA, they are not KIA.

Perhaps your friend's son attends to that school?

vicar (817 posts) • +1

Opinions and and experience both acceptable Dazzer. What's your point other than trying to up your post count? Pointless comment. Go to private question room chat with Alien.

@ Napoleon you know what you are talking about on this matter. Good stuff.

ASatiricalBloke (103 posts) • 0

To add to the noise and confusion, per KIA's own website as of today:

"Kunming International Academy welcomes all expatriate (foreign passport holders) children from age 3 through Grade 12 for admission. The school does not discriminate in its admissions policy on the basis of national, ethnic or racial origin, or language. The school also respects the religious preferences of parents and students."

kia-china.org/en/apply/overview/

They are also "accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges", meaning that the diplomas they confer upon their graduates are fully recognized in the United States as well as all higher education institutions.

kia-china.org/en/explore/accreditation/

Having said that, looking at their gallery, there are lots of "Asian" looking children in the pictures. I've always wondered if there were enough expat children to make KIA viable. Could it be that many "Chinese" children hold dual passports? Or could it be possible that they are enrolling local students into any number of "special" programs setup to go around the legal enrollment limits place by the Chinese government. That is, the students are not official students enrolled in their degree program but rather in a year-round "after-school" training program that is held at their campus.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I know a local Chinese student who went to KIA. I do know that there is mandatory Basic Education, up to completing middle school, in China. Highs chool is not mandatory, and there may be flexibility here. I also know that mandatory can be/and is skated around.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I wonder if China in any way recognizes such education that does not follow official Chinese curriculum (with all of its characteristics).

For example, the Chinese students who supposedly attend KIA, can they ever take gaokao? Or have they/their parents already chosen future education abroad?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Unless you studied specifically for Gaokao (3 years of hard study), there would be little chance of getting a score that would allow university entrance. I believe you cannot just sit for Gaokao, I think you need to be enrolled into a Chinese high school program. I have been told that without Gaokao, Chinese nationals cannot enter Chinese universities.
Chinese parents that decide that their children will opt out of Gaokao are closing the door on Chinese university entrance. The decision will have been made to study abroad. I have known one student to revert back to Chinese education, but he had worked hard to keep up with all of his Gaokao studies, as well as studying in an international program (amazing feat). He reverted back 2/3 way through year one.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

@Dazzer

I have experience in international schools of both kinds and am sending this message from my office in the Kunming Ministry of Education.

Many Chinese universities will accept Chinese students with no GaoKao, however they may have to pay a premium and the schools that do this are the ones looking to fill their quotas, such as low rank universities or private universities.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

Bump. I'm considering applying to KIA for a primary teaching job next year. Any new, objective input about this school would be appreciated. Thank you.

Related forum threads

Login to post