GoKunming Forums

Motorcycle A Plates

tommann (423 posts) • 0

If I buy a motorcycle from another province that comes without plates, how can I obtain A plates for Kunming?

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Short answer: you basically can't.

They stopped issuing plates for motorcycles to drive into the city several years ago. Old plates have been grandfathered in. I think there's a process where you can transfer old plates to a new bike, but those plates are costly (over 10,000 kuai last I heard, and that was quite a while ago).

The other option is to get non-A plates for Kunming (might actually have an A, but the number scheme designates them for outside of the city center). To do this, you need a legally purchased bike (i.e. fapiao or other documentation showing it's not shady/stolen), and an address outside of the 2nd Ring Road. If you're fully licensed and have those plates, then every once in a while you'll get stopped in the city and told not to drive there. Not a huge deal unless you drive on the main roads downtown.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

So does Kunming want to phase out all motorcycles within 2nd ring? Dang that is harsh. Does that mean that, even if you buy a brand new motorbike, you still cannot get an A plate?

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

I got my US drivers license, autos only.

1The thing is I want to buy a fking kawasaki ninja (150) or something, how much for the dl's, license plates and shit?

2 U got guanxi? Let me know bout that on PM.

3 Do u know stories of anybody getting caught w/o one?

Well, relying on public transportation for years while I've been here hasn't been very manly, or practical, tough it is sure safe and cost effective.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

If I were a Kunming official I wouldn't be as concerned with bikes right now as with those Diesel black smoke puffing buses and trucks.

Related forum threads

Login to post