GoKunming Forums

Chinese Human Compassion

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

If I may disagree again, it is, IMO, not a question of human compassion OR Chinese compassion.

It is a question of contemporary public norms in present day China (practiced by both very long time ex-pat residents and natives alike) that are seen as a problem by lots of people. In fact, I think almost everybody who would reflect on these problems would not feel fine about them. Clearly, only a few would argue that they are not more noticeably widespread in mainland Chinese cities at the moment. In Canada for example, that man probably would have been physically helped immediately, and other folks wouldn't have stayed for the show.

I see that as a fact, but NOT the core of the issue.

After all what if we are wrong in thinking that these incidents are more common here? What if they are more common in Toronto, Moscow or Jakarta, or wherever? Would that make any difference at all? Do we honestly think that, if such occurrences were more common elsewhere, this would make them any more defensible when they happen in Kunming? It is not a competition between east and west to see who can be more callous.

misfit (113 posts) • 0

Yes Maley that was a great experiment to show how people in the world are changing their values and priorities.
Billdan if you read my post you can find the answer: urbanization.
Urbanization brings people to ignore their neighbors, that happens in every part of the world, western cities were the first to experience it, so people over there got used to lack of compassion and attention for everything that is not closely related to their lives.
Chinese cities started their urbanization process much later so their citizens still keep a sense of solidarity that nowadays in the west is common just in small centers,but the chinese fa zhan process is making the two world more and more similar.

Lack of compassion cannot be related to a culture because populations, especially in cities, are losing their roots to gain globalization.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

To me, the bottom line is this. An old lady — someone's beloved grandmother — falls down and breaks her arm, and cries out in pain, "Please! Someone please help me!" a thousand people walk by and ignore her, an pretend not to see her. All other arguments aside, that is simply wrong.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

Crazy pick up a copy of " Chinese characteristics" by A.H Smith, there are whole chapters on compassion and sympathy.

It's spot on

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@tommann
Recently, there was an article (me too lazy to dig up the reference) of an old woman who was injured as a result of a hit & run. A CHINESE good Samaritan stopped to help her. She then turned around and tried to sue him, accusing HIM of the hit & run. Had it not been for the security cameras - the guy would've been toast in so many ways.

So while the old lady may be bemoaning her fate - I'd MAYBE call 119 (but not from my mobile) but am regretfully a dreg of humanity as I have responsibilities to my own family. This falls roughly into the same category as being banned (by the wife) from riding motorcycles - both activities are expressly forbidden because of the risk of future liability.

It's crap - but that's the way it is.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@TICexpats or anyone else.
" Chinese characteristics" by A.H Smith"
Not on Kindle, does anyone know of an online or E copy?

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

So to sum this whole threat up:

If you witness an accident and are thinking about helping:

You should remember that no foreigner has ever been deported for that.

You can call an ambulance but it is not recommended to call from your phone.

You better pray she's not an old woman (or anyone) who will try to sue you afterwards.

Related forum threads

Login to post