Sofitel Kunming

Forums

DVD shops closed?

AlPage48 (1195 posts) • 0

It always amazes me that people who will pay 500,000 or more for a car won't part with 5 to park it legally.

AlPage48 (1195 posts) • 0

I see them parked right outside the places with legal spots available! Usually Mercedes or the big Toyota land cruisers.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

@Tonyad. Really? I had no idea. I assume I should be forgiven considering the manner most Chinese cars are parked. Anyway, it happened in Tengchong and not Kunming. Speaking of cars: I know it's a gas guzzler and it's sort of a dick move to buy a big SUV these days, but the Toyota Highlanders do look inviting.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@Danmairen, no apologies needed, I wasn't being snarky or anything. Just letting you know so perhaps you might feel a little bit better. However, what I said applies to Kunming for sure and I think applies to all cities in China, however, as I have never been to Tengchong I can't speak with authority.

On a side note, one of the problems with China is not in the laws, the laws in many cases are comparable to those in the West, it's the lack of enforcement of those laws, sometimes even flagrant violation by officials.

As you mentioned with the parking situation, a normal person would be led to believe that there aren't any parking regulations until the police decides on a crack down, then you become the unlucky chap they decide to make an example of. Arguing won't work because they have the law on their side and when it isn't, they ARE the law. Suing and going to court don't help because the courts are not independent and received instructions from the higher ups. When issues isn't big enough for the higher ups to bother, then they consult with PSB to determine how to rule the case unless you've offered a sufficient bribe to win the case in your favor.

It's a crappy situation but that's how Chinese society works.

Cheers

Liumingke1234 (3289 posts) • 0

This thread is about 'DVD shops closed?' not parking. Stay on topic!

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

This thread is about "DVD shops closed?" not about people not staying on topic. Please stay on topic!

bucko (686 posts) • 0

Ahhh, I remember that good ol days when being a laowai meant you could park anywhere at no charge. That has long gone away now.

Anyway, it will soon get better. China economy is heading for some very rough times, many drivers will not be buying gas to drive.

Be patient.

Login to post Register to post