GoKunming Forums

DVD shops closed?

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Anyone know why all the DVD shops in the WenLinJie area have closed or are now selling other things? A crack down?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I just watched on the news that the police was going to check the stores. I guess to check if these stores are selling pirated DVD's. Of course they are, duh!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

This sort of thing goes on all the time in China. Word gets out about a crackdown, or there is some international visit. Then the shops, that are open, are checked out by the police. It is ironic that the main DVD shop on Wenhua Xiang is next to the police station.

EncryptedEncrypted (114 posts) • 0

I live in the south. The 4 DVD stores close to my home are closed too.

The only store I saw selling real DVD's is the one in front of the cinema (wenlinjie), close to the Mc Donald-sort "restaurant" (I don't remember the name).

Real DVD are sold more than 100 Kuai. I don't know who buys that...
If all the stores have to sell real DVD's I think they're going to close definitely.

The DVD shop opposite WenLinJie cinema (next to Dicos) was closed when I looked a couple of days ago. Must be a police check (or rumour of). Thanks all.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

The new international airport - one of the largest in China (and therefore the world) is due to have its official grand opening later this month (aka very very soon). As such, I suspect many dignitaries will be attending including potentially foreign press, hence:

1. street orphan cleanup
2. massive road renovations and beautifications
3. closure of the pirate dvd shops
4. probably closure or censure of the customary entertainment venues - ktv, sauna, majiang parlors (although they seem to be spawning as opposed to shrinking), etc etc etc.
5. more traffic moderators (and illegal parking tickets)
6. mandatory licensing of all e-bikes.
7. an impromptu visit by the Chengdu consulate et al?

Just guessing here...

I've seen a lot of police ticketing illegal parking of late. You may well be right @Laotou.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

This has been the buzz at Salvador's. I also suspect a government crackdown as the new airport opens and dignitaries attend. I suspect they will open back up after that. Let's hope, as they were great!

Related forum threads

Login to post