GoKunming Forums

Do the Chinese of Kunming stare a lot at Laowai?

Nuts_drop (1 post) • 0

I am a native.About this topic,I just want to say.If someone stare at you,it is friendly.Don't worry about that.To me,when I saw the laowai,I just a only friendly curiosity.Do not think about this.Welcome to Kunming.Having good time in Kunming.If you have some problems,you can call me.I am gald to read your massage.

Gaya.C (5 posts) • 0

@Geezer
uhm,I agree with u,this situation is pretty common,but I mean its decreasing,some places like Wenlin Street or Wenhua Alley in particular,there r many foreigners, and people there like talking and making friends with them.

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

@Gaya.C @ Nutsdrop

I see the your attitudes, (also Ocean, tonyaod) as part of the problem. You attitudes are very common, too.

You can say that it is friendly, but you know that you wouldn't like people to do it to you.

When you hear about it, you either deny it, or say that it shouldn't bother people. But! It would bother you. It would bother most people.

You should change your attitude to accepting that it makes some people, maybe even most people, uncomfortable.
You don't have to change your opinion about it being MEANT in a friendly way, but you need to admit that you wouldn't want people to do it to you. Otherwise, you are no help.

Ps. I dont think we are talking about green lake area.
Also, people say they stare because we are foreigners. That is true. But it is also true that we are foreigners because they stare. The ritual of loudly naming someone a laowai, of warning others of the presence of a "laowai", is also a way to maintain the existence of the laowai. It is a way to keep the concept alive.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

I was in a taxi the other day, with the window rolled down. As we were in traffic, a group of young Chinese guys looked at me. One of them screamed, "Lao wai!" They all laughed maliciously. But I simply smiled and waved, and said, "Ni hao !" They changed their demeanor, and smiled back in a friendly manner. The thing is, we are all humans. We have different ways of doing things, but in the end, kindness and a good nature go a long way.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@aaronb, please re-read the title of the thread and read my response as I sense you did not fully understand the finer point I was making.

The OP as asking "Do the Chinese......." as in he/she is not in Kunming yet and is concerned that people will stare. My point was, it goes without saying that of course you will be stared at, people stare at anything that's different. If you are concerned about being stared at or don't like people to stare at you then you should go somewhere where you are not different, Europe for example.

Wouldn't it be a ridiculous question if I asked, If I painted myself green and walked naked on the streets of NY, would people stare?

BTW, I don't see how my attitude is part of the problem. So you are suggesting that we should stop every offending Chinese person to tell them how much we are offended and how it's a rude thing to do? Should we start a protest demanding the local government start a public service campaign to enlighten the Citizens of KM on the plight of laowais? It's a country of 1.3 billion people, Kunming metro area has at last count 7 million residents, most of which have never seen a foreigner and is genuinely excited to see one in person as opposed to seeing them on TV. The stares are part of the territory, either get used to it or go somewhere where they don't stare.

The world does not revolve around us and we can't expect it to change just to accommodate us. We can choose to stay in the comforts of our home where everything is just right or we can venture out and explore the world but understand that there will be risks. If you can't handle the risks than maybe you shouldn't venture too far out from your home.

Stop being so pampered is what I'm saying.

Cheers~

aaronb (54 posts) • 0

I hope you are right but unfortunately I think I do understand what you are saying and I think it is inappropriate.

1. the "a lot" means in an extreme way. Of course people will stare somewhat, that is not the issue here.

2. We are not living in all of China, but in Kunming where many, perhaps most, of the people have seen a foreigner before.

3. people here DON'T stare at just anything that is different unless it plants itself on the street and stops moving.

4. The analogy of green naked in nyc might seem apt to you, but I can't imagine why. Even if it was, you would have to add "everyday for 1 year" to your question. I wouldn't stare after a few months of seeing the green nudist everyday, but my neighbors have seen me everyday for one year and still stare intensely.

5. Your narrative perhaps rests on a kind of, for lack of a better word, orientalism. You are not in the comfort of your home anymore, you are off to exotic lands, you ain't in Kansas no more, etc. etc. I don't feel that way.

6. I didn't suggest a solution, certainly not the ones that you mentioned. Some people (certainly not you ) might think that invalidates my right to criticism, but then those people aren't very good at thinking.

thanks for coming out

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

i think the people who are complaining bitterly about being stared at and called lao wai are a bunch of wetties. it's really not that bad. most people don't stare at all and when someone (rarely) shouts 'lao wai' or 'helloooo' at you, it's not meant in a malicious way... at worst it's just a bit childish. i had an iranian friend in london and he had several occasions when people shouted 'paki' at him in the street, and once in scotland someone set a dog on him because of his skin colour. 'lao wai' is a respectful term. 'paki' definitely is not. the attention we foreigners get in china is overwhelmingly positive, so if you feel like crying when you hear someone say lao wai, just be glad it's not 'paki' or 'chink'. i know i'm stating the obvious here but it's worth highlighting.

Related forum threads

Login to post