GoKunming Forums

Dog Friendly Kunming

jjdesmond (4 posts) • 0

Hi there,

We are moving to Kunming with our dog in July. We are interested in any and all information that is out there about having a dog in Kunming. We would love to hear about dog friendly places she can go including parks, areas, outdoor bars/restaurants, local taxis, etc.

Any personal experiences you've had or places you've found is great and helpful.

We have been in Shanghai and have found that, although many places do not allow dogs, there are certain places, parks, taxis, bars/restaurants with outdoor seating that will allow dogs. You just have to find them.

Hoping Kunming is the same...

Thanks!

JandJ

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Well, people here are starting to keep pets. But, please understand that your dog will be quarantined for a long time, something like three months. It is very hard on the poor guy, and cruel.

jjdesmond (4 posts) • 0

Thank you for your concern tomman. Luckily she will not have to go through quarantine as we are already in China and she has all her vaccinations, official paperwork from Shanghai, and other requirements fulfilled for travelling within the country.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

jjdesmond oh good! I was feeling sorry for the poor fellow! Ok so, what I find in Kunming, in my short time here, is that it is much dog-friendlier than Beijing. fLots of people here seem to have dogs, and people on the street smile and laugh when they see dogs. They seem to be delighted. There are parks here, and it seems like you can take Fido most places.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Quarantine is not always necessary even when coming from outside China. We came from Canada with our two cats. Rather than route us through Beijing or Shanghai, the travel agent booked us on Korean Air, so we flew from Toronto to Seoul to Kunming with the animals booked right through. That made Kunming the point of entry, and they apparently don't have quarantine facilities here. Sometimes what they do is quarantine the animal in YOUR home.

DAY DREAMER (24 posts) • 0

I think the whole China is not dog friendly as dog meat is still served in some of small restaurants. But there are an increasing number of people who keep dogs as pets and start to show concern towards animal welfare. I have a dog and I take her to the bank - no one said anything yet. Some taxi drivers don't mind small breeds. I always keep my dog on the lead and if I let her off running around once a while I always keep her in my sight. There are people who are stealing dogs selling them to the restaurant for money - the bigger the breed the more chance of being stolen. I have heard so many stories about people losing their dogs to the thieves so if you love your dog keep a good eye on him/her.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

From what I've just witnessed it seems dogs in Kunming are like cars, they can go anywhere, do what they like, wherever they like, without let or hindrance. One cretinous owner just allowed a dog to shit on a university campus garden right next to where students are sat reading and children playing. Little 'fido' will be in paradise here in Kunming.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I have met people who have had their dogs stolen. Even small breeds. But this everywhere in China.

There is all kinds of edible litter on the streets, so if your fussy about what your dog ingests, keep a very short leash.

jjdesmond (4 posts) • 0

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions so far.

Still happy to get more information of any kind about specific activities, places, areas, etc. that are dog friendly.

Thanks again!

tommann (423 posts) • 0

jjdesmond, your dog should love Green Lake park. It is quite beautiful, and there are likely lots of other dogs to meet!

Related forum threads

Login to post