GoKunming Forums

Quality of life in Kunming?

Myles101 (1 post) • 0

I am about to make my to move Kunming as my base for my business, from what I hear the weather and people seem very nice. I can't handle the Shanghai Summers or Winters no way!!

What I would like is a very simple request how is life in Kunming overall?

Air Quality?
Internet Speed Fast ?
Are there Black Out's?
Can you have a business suit made in the city?
Is it safe at night ?

I will come to Kunming - but a I sure could use some good friendly advise

Thanks in advance

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Like anything, it's all relative to where you are coming from. I'm from the USA, so:

Air Quality
Kunming has some of the better air quality for a tier 2 city in China. However, this year is worse than most due to temporary (drought) and trending factors (cars, construction). So good for China, but still not better than LA, and not even close to Portland/Seattle.

Internet Speed.
Long story short, if you can get China Telecom dsl in a new building, there is a good chance you can get the new 6,8,12 mbps dsl. I currently use the 4mbps dsl with a good vpn, and can max out my dl speed to the US. If you use other companies or have a lan or cable based solution in your complex, then it varies a lot.

Black Outs
No black outs. Prior years some very minor brown outs for certain districts. Power loss is pretty rare, and would primarily be due to storms and downed lines. What you need to worry about currently is low water pressure. Parts of greater Kunming experience water outages. It's variable as to where and why. See this forum for more info: www.gokunming.com/en/forums/thread/5697/water_rationing

Suits
Suits can be made, but Kunming isn't known for it's high end tailoring. High-end men's shopping is pretty limited. Of course you could jot over to Hoi An, Vietnam and get a world class colonial days suit made for $$. I'm not the expert on suits here, as I brought all my own.

Is it safe at night?
Violent crime is very rare. Much less than USA. Petty crime doesn't abound, but it can happen as being white will increase your chances of pickpockets/purse snatchers. But overall rating, is in the high to very good for personal safety. Being male helps, but that's not specific to China.

Bonus. Electronics
You need to bring all your fancy toys and accessories and anything else you sort of been wanting. Kunming electronics shopping is limited in choice and pricing isn't great.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

As you (OP) are thinking about doing business here. The biggest impact on your quality of life will be the work environment. Kunming people are not as industrious as Shanghai ren, to put is mildly. Professionalism is also not high on many candidates list of aptitudes. Most candidates will be looking to work in an organisation with a 'country club' or 'laissez fair' culture. Many will expect high pay for minimal return.
Constantly beating your head against a wall can destroy your quality of life.

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

Air Quality?
Very good for China.

Internet Speed Fast ?
Not so much.

Are there Black Out's?
No, but there is water rationing.

Can you have a business suit made in the city?
Sure you can. I found a great place, I just do not know the Chinese name for the area.

Is it safe at night ?
Very.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Air quality in the South of the city, around Dian Chi, is much better.
Newest infrastructure is in Chengong new district, and it has cleaner air, but it is the new district, and is a long way out of the city, and currently a ghost town. They want to move the government there, but many are refusing to move.
There is a new CBD being launched of DianChi Lu (in the south), the ground breaking ceremony was last week. But this will not be completed for 2-3 years.
Internet speed is variable from development to development. Generally it is slow. It will be nowhere near Shanghai levels.
It is safe at night, unless you lurk around Kundu when you are drunk. Kundu is the nightclub area.

123go (145 posts) • 0

Oh Quality. This kind of question again. Funny to hear these responses.
Here are some facts they didn't say:
1.UV radiation - remember the cancer.

2.Tabacco industry - remember another cancer
3.quality of food
4.quality of entertainment - curtural activities/international communiaction/etc.
5.Business-depend on what kind of business you do
6.language-what percentage of people here speak english
7.Some people come kunming to learn "chinese mandarin"-我傻眼
etc.

Reading these responses reminds me the main responsibility of the US Embassy in China: The Mission of testing the air.

Reading their reports is one of the entertainment everyday.

Related forum threads

Login to post