GoKunming Forums

Kunming Chinese Food

joshwa (67 posts) • 0

FWIW the place Alex and I refer to is Dehong Dai. Xishuangbanna Dai and Dehong Dai are two ethnically-distinct groups and their food is quite different.

I'm on an eating tour of xishuangbanna right now (in Jinghong now but headed to Menglun tomorrow, if anyone has recommendations), so I'm getting a crash course in this right now.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Most people tend to scorn the traditional Kunming bowl of rice noodles, but I personally like it. The other day, I stopped at a local noodle shop. I cannot read much Chinese, but I know enough to see "beef rice noodle" so I ordered a large. They had condiments that you could add: everything from garlic to hot sauce to green onions. So I loaded up and really enjoyed it!

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I've got to agree with Flengs. Moved away from KM more than a year ago and haven't found a chance to return to the restaurant since, but at the time I was living in KM, one of my top five favorite restaurants in the whole city, Western or Chinese, for sure.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

well I just posted on a really good place in Kundu and it was deleted, can we only post about "sponsors" now ?
I don't think many kumning chinese restaurants are going to advertise here, but deleting posts on them is giving a very limited view on where to eat in Yunnan.

YerethYereth (110 posts) • 0

@TICexpats: If you would like to review a restaurant that is not in our listings you are welcome to send us the information through the contact form so we can add it to the appropriate category/categories, enabling you to write your review in the appropriate place.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

@ yereth, I posted it in "food and drink" figured better here than in "study".
maybe you could have just moved it then and not deleted it, just a suggestion.

robert367 (14 posts) • 0

I don't think many Kunming china dining places are going to promote here, but removing content on them is providing a very restricted perspective on where to eat in Yunnan.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I can't swing myself into a rant of BillDan sized proportions but I do feel what he's saying. Spicy rice-noodles get old fast and when I think back on my 3 years in Kunming, oddly enough all the restaurants I remember were owned and operated by people from other provinces while the Kunming/Yunnanese ones were all the same oily stuff laced with chilli and full of bone, fat and tendons. Best Chinese restaurants I've frequented in Kunming? The Taiwanese ones, a Guangdong place, Xinjiang/Hui noodles/dishes shops and a the few Dongbei places I found along the way. Northern dumplings and baozi are infinitely better than the Yunnan ones filled with a microscopic mix of unidentifiable green stuff and something meat-like which couldn't be sold as dog food in the West. Bai food has its pros but generally, food in Yunnan is generic, boring, made without heart and effort, ridiculously oily and of pretty low quality generally.

Related forum threads

Login to post