GoKunming Forums

Traveling into Tibet from the Nujiang valley

flengs (109 posts) • 0

Next July, 2 of my good Chinese friends are planning to travel to Zayu (Chayu 察隅) in Tibet. They want to drive a 4-wheel drive from the Nijiang valley. I'm very eager to join them. Assuming that it would be impossible for me to get a permit with my Dutch passport, they propose I hide out somewhere in the back of the car (big expensive 4-wheel drive) at the checkpoints. I'll have to be very low profile on the trip itself and not show myself in villages at times of daylight, etc.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? What would be the consequences if I'm found out somewhere beyond the checkpoints? Will I get deported, or can I continue my stay in China with paying some kind of fine? I've heard some contradicting stories on this. Has anyone been to Zayu? I'm just assuming I won't get there in any legal way, or would it be possible for me to get a permit?

Thank you for any input!

flengs (109 posts) • 0

hmm... I went on reading about the current situation and it seems like I should back out of this naive plan... Still, sharing any kind of experiences would be very welcome!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Why would you put yourself through this. With all the heat coming down on foreigners (assuming you are), if you get caught, they might want to make an example of you. Wait until things are back to 'normal'.

Don't be like those Americans that were 'hiking' and went into North Korea and got locked up.

flengs (109 posts) • 0

Yes, that's why I backed out of my plan. The timing is not right. I was just curious if there is anyone with experience traveling from Nujiang into Tibet. I'm looking at those areas on the map and the stories I hear make it very attractive.

There are so many beautiful places in the world and too bad 'Mankind' is an arsehole.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I think your Chinese friends are naive too. Much more harm will come to them than you for trying that plan. There are amazing places in Qinghai and Gansu as an alternate for the current no-go Tibet.

John Xie (109 posts) • 0

last August we almost did go into Tibet. I am a Chinese with other 4 Italians, when pass by a check point at the Tibet - Sichuang border,(there were 2 check points, 1 kilometer away from each other, we already passed the 1st one, we dont have Tibet travel permit, only had show them passport.) a sodier almost let us go, but his coworker was a little more cautious, so the guy called his boss for a decision, the boss said on telephone better not let us get in. eventually, we have been rejected, but the sodiers are nice to us through out the whole process and they insited to take group photos with us. what I can tell is, the check is not so strict, and there still a change to get in, especilly when you appear to be on a charity mission (donate food, help the children, whatever)

Related forum threads

Login to post