GoKunming Forums

GoKunming feedback

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

In line with what GBTEXDOC suggests.
A calendar feature is available on a lot of website software.
Even if no software, events can be put forward to the mod team for inclusion in the GoK Calendar. This can then be viewed by anyone. The other advantage of a calendar, is that it requires populating, but no maintenance.

bosnianXCII (36 posts) • 0

I would love to see a "Rants and Raves" section, similar to craigslist. It would be interesting to see what others bitch about. But of course you must consider the Great Firewall of China and the censorship behind it, which could cause you guys to get shut down :(

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I would also worry about the wisdom of this as it may give nationalist trolls a new target (GoK). It may also be used to fuel some of the anti foreigner sentiment that some locals with a chip may want to stir up.
We have in the past had an unfortunate attack on an expat bar, going back a few years.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Since you deleted my prior post, I assume GoK censorship found something unamusing about it.

I'll rephrase it in a bland vanilla way; Update the photo gallery.

And another note, since you did delete my prior post without any form of acknowledgement, I think GoK should at least insert "a deleted by admin" when they do delete forum posts. Otherwise, GoK can revise a thread to however they feel it should read, without anyone knowing it had been touched. Maybe this thread already has many more deletions, how would we know?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

There is a negative side to free speech - Anti-foreigner sentiment, flame wars, ... but excessive censorship is far worse. There's too much unneccessary censorship on this forum, in my opinion. There was an open discussion about the Yang Rui situation on echinacities.com. I'm assuming that site is hosted in China (but I could be wrong).

angelcrazy2 (15 posts) • 0

Yes I have something to say.
I was the first one to put an ad. on my "car rent/ tour guide service" in "classifields/services". However, since last October, someone pays you to block car rent service ads. from anyone else (I wrote to ask you and you told me this). I'm not discussing here whether it's legal or not to do so. I think it's for sure not a wise decision. IMAGINE what if, for example, Keats school, or Hump, follows this person, start to pay you money to block the same services from anyone else?? The result would be that the customers who come here to find the service would have only one choice. Finally, you would get fewer and fewer visitors. Nobody would win in the end. So, in my opinion, open and healthy competition is essential, which can make your website lively and appealing.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I would like to hear a response to angelcrazy2's claim. If the only reason the ads are blocked is because GoK has been paid off, then that's worse than Baidu even. Or are you charging business entities for classifieds and we just aren't aware of it? Or did angelcrazy2 break some spam rules?

It's a serious allegation, and I think GoK should address it.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Interesting.....
On a possibly related note I also wonder if some of the classified ads really fit under what most people consider to be classifieds. In my experience the classified section is a place for private people to buy/ sell/ trade/ swap things, whereas many of the classified I see here are clearly run by business people. Advertisements for people selling new computers, travel company services, and looking for teachers surely should be considered business transactions and possibly have their own "paid for section", as should be expected for any business advertising with the intent of making a financial gain.

As a side note, when I have advertised in local newspapers and some local websites, part of the requirement is that potential advertisers are required to present their ID, as well as their business licence in order to have an advertisement placed. To anyone crying foul at having their advertisement blocked Id be interested to know if they have appropriate business licences, tour guide licence, as are paying tax to the appropriate authorities....
Why does someone who runs a business to make money think they should be able to get free advertising from another business who is trying to make money? I know that if I think I have something of value to sell then i would look at investing a few hundred RMB in placing an ad. Placing a classified just looks amateur IMHO

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I am fine with the classifieds as is. I am fine if GoK charges some business entities for classifieds. I am even fine if GoK ranks your links/ads higher if you pay more (what Baidu does). We probably don't want GoK to do the latter two, but even if they did, it's acceptable business practice for a portal site.

What's not acceptable is if GoK takes money to give one business a monopoly. That's why I think angelcrazy2 allegation should be cleared up.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

What if one business is paying money, and the other "business" wants to put there advertisement in the classified section for free?
If I had a business and was wanting to pay money to gokunming to advertise, then Id certainly ask that other unpaid for advertisements offering the same services were not allowed for the period I was paying for. Id also ask that other competing businesses were not allowed to place paid ads during the same period too, and would be willing to pay more money for this.
Yes, I'd want to create a monopoly, and this is common practice across many advertising mediums. Why is it not acceptable for a business to run this way?

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.